Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16614 Discussions

Help with verilog testbench code

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Am trying to solve a parking slot problem where an individual has 4 parking spaces outside of his/her apartment complex. this individual wants to know when two adjacent spaces are open as he/she does not want anyone to park next to their car. (normally, this person parks at the end of a large parking lot to avoid any scrapes or scratches). this individual proceeds to set up pressure switches in the parking spaces and has a logic indicator in their apartment building. they want one logic indicator to activate if two adjacent spaces become open, another logic indicator to activate if three adjacent spaces become open, a third if all spaces are open and a fourth if one space is open (in case they choose to risk it). 

i am having problems with the testbench. it doesn't generate the desired output waves when i run it in modelsim. any help would be appreciated. 

testbench  

module parking_lot_tb; 

wire p1 = 1'b0; 

wire p2 = 1'b0; 

wire p3 = 1'b0; 

wire p4 = 1'b0; 

wire a1; 

wire a2; 

wire a3; 

wire a4; 

reg clk; 

parking_lot dut( 

p1, 

p2, 

p3, 

p4, 

a1, 

a2, 

a3, 

a4 

); 

initial begin 

clk = 1;  

end 

always begin  

assign# 100 p1 = ~( p1); 

assign# 200 p2 = ~( p2); 

assign# 300 p3 = ~( p3); 

assign# 400 p4 = ~( p4); 

end 

initial 

$monitor($stime,,clk,,a1,,a2,,a3,,a4,,); 

endmodule  

Main code:  

module parking_lot( 

p1, 

p2, 

p3, 

p4, 

a1, 

a2, 

a3, 

a4 

); 

input p1; 

input p2; 

input p3; 

input p4; 

output a1; 

output a2; 

output a3; 

output a4; 

assign a1 = ( ( ( p1 | p2 ) | p3 ) | p4 ); 

assign a2 = ( ( ( p1 & p2 ) | ( p2 & p3 ) ) | ( p3 & p4 ) ); 

assign a3 = ( ( ( ( p1 & p2 ) & p3 ) & ~( p4) ) | ( ( p2 & p3 ) & p4 ) ); 

assign a4 = ( ( ( p1 & p2 ) & p3 ) & p4 ); 

endmodule
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest you generate a 4-bit, registered, counter that generates the 16 different combinations of slot availability possible. Connect each bit of the counter to your p1-p4 module input signals. 

There are several ways in which you could generate this stimulus - I'm not sure yours is one of them :oops: 

You might try this: 

module tb (); 

reg [3:0] p; 

integer i; 

initial 

begin 

p = 0; 

for (i=0; i<=15; i=i+1) 

# 10 p = p + 1; 

$stop(); 

end 

// Connect up your module here... 

endmodule 

The 4-bit register 'p' gives you the four individual signals you need to stimulate you module with.
0 Kudos