Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16616 Discussions

Ordering of Ports for exported Qsys signal conduits

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a design with a Qsys that is slowley growing. I find that each time I export another signal conduit it gets added to the bottom of the component. This is the same for the generated VHDL component, or for the block symbol. 

I'd really like to keep the exported signals together in a logical order, rather than just in the order they happened to be exported. For example all the external memory interfaces to be kept together. I'm currently using a schematic top level for my design with the Qsys system connected to a number of other symbols representing VHDL components. 

Currently I can only think of two solutions: 

1) Edit the auto generated .bsf file every time I add or remove a conduit. 

2) Delete all the exported conduits from my Qys design, and then go round exporting them in the order I want them to appear. 

Neither of these are ideal, I'd be interested to hear if anybody has any better solutions, this must start to become an issue in many designs. 

Mark
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is an old problem I also have. But there is no other way than the 2nd. Sorry. 

But to make it somehow faster: 

You can double-click on an export and press [Ctrl]+[X] then [ENTER]. Now it's deleted. Then again click on the Export an press [Ctrl]+[V]. Now your Export is on the bottom of your BSF-File. 

Do this with every export in the order you want them to be and you're done. As a little help you shoul bring the IPs in this order first so you can just re-export the exports from top to bottom. 

I'm really sorry, but there is no other way. 

Steffen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Steffen, 

That sounds like a good workaround, not too painful to do each time I change the exported conduits. 

Pity their isn't an option in Qsys to do this automatically each time it generates the system, you would think that most people would want the exports in the same order as their IP. 

Mark
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you do your top level in HDL, you can use named association to keep the order how you want when you instantiate the component.

0 Kudos