Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16616 Discussions

Problem of downloading hardware to DE0-Nano on Ubuntu 14.04

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone. 

I've installed Quartus 13.0 on my laptop running Ubuntu 14.04. When I download hardware file to DE0-Nano board, althought there's a message telling me that the downloading process succeeded, the "load" light on the board keeps being on, and after that, I can't run any program on it in NiosII Eclipse, with a error message "Downloading elf failed". 

Can anyone tell me whether there's any solution?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's so sad that no one can answer......

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does your board work with any of the examples supplied on the CD that comes with the Nano? Or does this problem occur when trying to use one of the examples? 

Try the 'myfirst_niosii' example. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Alex. 

Now it's no problem for it to run programs on NiosII EDS, but the "LOAD" light will still keep being on after downloading sof file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does your design contain a 'JTAG UART', like the 'myfirst_niosii example? Do you use this UART as a console? If so the 'LOAD' light will remain lit whilst you have a terminal connected via JTAG. 

However, if the 'LOAD' light remains on after having only programmed a .sof, this doesn't sound right. Does the FPGA start to operate as per your design? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As you said, the 'LOAD' light isn't turned off when the .sof was downloaded, and it will continue being on until the usb blaster is pulled out. 

I've turned to QuartusII 14, and everything works fine. 

But thank you for your concern, Alex!
0 Kudos