Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16614 Discussions

Quartus II Settings File contains an illegal device family

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I just started using Quartus II as a complete newbie. Unfortunatelly I got stuck with the following problem: 

I installed the free Quartus II Web Edition Version 10.0 Build 262 on an Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS system (32-bit).  

When I'm running the New Project Wizard, there is an error message: 

"Quartus II Settings File contains an illegal device family -- using default device family Stratix". 

On the Family & Device Settings page, I can only select the Arria GX family. The CycloneIII family and all the other device families I selected during the installation are missing. 

I tried reinstalling Quartus, but it still doesn't work. 

On an other computer, which is running exactly the same version of Ubuntu and Quartus, it all works fine. 

How can I fix that?! 

Thanks for your help, 

Jonas Lindmann
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Look here: 10.0_quartus_linux.sh (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24563

Apparently the installer stops at some point installing the device families. But you can install the needed (or all) families manually.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just had a look at the two Threads 10.0_quartus_linux.sh and Altera Installer on Fedora 12 (and other Linux distros). Unfortunately I didn't get an idea of how to install device families manually and how to get rid of the device families which are supposed to be illegal. 

I tried some stuff using the --update argument of the installer but didn't have any success.  

Could you please give me a hit how to start the manual installation? 

Thanks for any help! 

Jonas Lindmann 

P.S.: This is an extract of the log-file which seems relevant to me: 

Installing package : Arria II GX Family ... starting subprocess: /etc/altera/quartus/bin/quartus_sh --qinstall -qda "/home/carsten/Desktop/10.0sp1_quartus_free_linux/altera_installer/bin/../../devices/subscription/arriaii.qda" -show_qt_progress quartus_free install process 10801 finished with status 2 /etc/altera/quartus/bin/quartus_sh: 59: ARGV=--qinstall: not found /etc/altera/quartus/bin/quartus_sh: 59: ++val: not found /etc/altera/quartus/bin/quartus_sh: 59: ARGV=-qda: not found /etc/altera/quartus/bin/quartus_sh: 59: ++val: not found /etc/altera/quartus/bin/quartus_sh: 59: ARGV=/home/carsten/Desktop/10.0sp1_quartus_free_linux/altera_installer/bin/../../devices/subscription/arriaii.qda: not found /etc/altera/quartus/bin/quartus_sh: 59: ++val: not found /etc/altera/quartus/bin/quartus_sh: 59: ARGV=-show_qt_progress: not found /etc/altera/quartus/bin/quartus_sh: 59: ++val: not found export: 137: 2400.00: bad variable name
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This shows how I had to install the device families: 

sudo bash /home/josy/altera/10.0/quartus/bin/quartus_sh --qinstall -qda "/home/josy/Documents/10.0_quartus_linux/altera_installer/bin/../../devices/subscription/arriagx.qda" -show_qt_progres 

Replace arriagx.qda by the family you want to install. Use your appropriate paths.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your help; now all works fine. 

Jonas Lindmann
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This should solve it (the original problem): 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26807
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I' ve a similar problem with Quartus 2 Web Edition Version 10.1 on winxp and on win7(64-bit) 

I've installed only cyclone II device family (i'm working on it) and when i start the New Project Wizard, the error message is: 

Quartus II Settings File contains an illegal device family -- using default device family Cyclone IV GX" 

but then the wizard lets me choose the right device...what's wrong?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as Phil82, using Windows 7 64-bit, with only Cyclone II installed and so on. I think it may be related to upgrading to a newer version of Quartus. I however made sure to uninstall completely the older version before installing the new one. 

Where is this 'Settings File' located ? Is this error important ? Does anyone know how to solve it ? Thank you
0 Kudos