Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16636 Discussions

Quartus Licensing For FIR II compiler

Lakshman-Athukorala

Hello

I have a question about Quartus licensing because I want to build two FPGA projects that use the FIR II compiler. I am currently using the lite/free versions of Quartus.

Project 1 uses a Cyclone II device. This project is compiled with Quartus 13 (because this is the latest version of Quartus that supports Cyclone II devices). When I compile the project, Quartus issues a warning that the FIR II compiler is not free. It does not generate an RBF file, but is able to generate a time limited SOF file for me to evaluate the design.

Project 2 uses a Cyclone V SoC device. This project is compiled with Quartus 21.1 Lite. When I compile the project, Quartus DOES NOT issue a warning about the FIR II compiler. It is able to generate an RBF file as well. There is no mention of a time limitation etc.

I would appreciate it if you could help me answer the following questions:

1. If I do not buy a license for Quartus, then can I compile the FIR II design for the Cyclone V FPGA using just the free/lite version of Quartus 21 without any time restrictions?

2. If I purchase the subscription version of Quartus, then will I be able to make full use of the FIR II compiler both on Quartus 13 (for the Cyclone II device) and Quartus 21 (for the Cyclone V device)? In the future I am also looking at migrating the project over to a Cyclone 10 GX device so it is important that I am able to compile for this FPGA family as well.

3. If I purchase the subscription version of Quartus, will this license work both in Quartus 13 and Quartus 21 or do I need to buy two separate licenses?

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Lakshman

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to Intel forum. May we know, is Project 1 and Project 2 the same/equal project?

Q1) Ans= Based on my understanding, No. You can use Quartus Prime Lite Edition to compile without any license cost in Eval mode. During Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode, the Compiler only generates a time-limited device programming file (<project name>_time_limited.sof) that expires at the time limit.

You need to purchase a full production license for licensed Intel FPGA IP cores to use the IP in production.

Q2) Ans= Based on my understanding, yes. The FIR Compiler II IP is listed in IP Base Suite (NCO, FFT, FIR Compiler II). For IP Base Suite you can refer here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/programmable/intellectual-property/ip-base-suite.html   

Q3) Ans= Based on my understanding, yes. But to be sure, you could refer to local sales representative for more. contact your local sales representative here. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

Alternatively, you could apply an Intel 90-Day Evaluation License use with Quartus Pro/Standard. Login to Intel® FPGA Self Service Licensing Center and request the Quartus evaluation free license here https://licensing.intel.com/         

1) Go to Sign up for Evaluation or Free licenses

2) Select Intel® FPGA EVALUATION-LIC

3) # of Seats is always 1

4) Check the T&C box

5) Add the required options

6) Click Get License button

The license will be sent to email that you register with

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We have not heard from you and I hope that my last note clears up this matter. If you don’t have any further question, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos