Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16613 Discussions

Quartus generated simulation script looks for VCS1 when VCS1 is not in the tool path provided

BKB
Novice

Hi,

I am trying to run the example design simulation script generated by Quartus for DDR and I also tried to generate a simulation script for libraries from Quartus.  I am using Quartus 22.3 and also tried with Quartus 22.4. The VCS  version used for the executable path is T-2022.06 and I also tried with VCS U-2023.03.

When I run the script "vcs_setup.sh" I get an error message that vcs1 not found, which it would not as it is not in the path of the tool executable. I have attached the relevant snapshots. Please help resolve this.

Best,

BB

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi BB,

Seems like there's permission restricted to access that file vcs1. May be can try change permission with 755 (The user has read, write and execute permissions; the group and others can only read and execute) or 750 (set the user has read, write, and executable permissions; group has read/executable permission; others no permission) to grant access.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi BB,

Check screenshot below, i specify the executable location path and it shows the simulation tool name of VCS S-2021.09-SP1. However, I can't find that tool name as well. But I successfully compile the library.

ShengN_Intel_0-1711082710244.pngShengN_Intel_1-1711082764915.png

If you try compile the simulation library in GUI, any problem? If yes, then probably there's problem with the path ady.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
BKB
Novice

Hi Sheng,

Thanks for your reply. I was able to compile the library in GUI.

Also, I am a part of the group and the permissions are set ti 750, but still the generated script for compile fails.

Best,

BB

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi BB,

I tested the ddr example design simulation script "vcs_setup.sh" without any problem. I'm using bash to run "vcs_setup.sh". I think probably the bash env problem. Belows are some of my VCS bash env path:

MANPATH=/p/psg/eda/synopsys/vcsmx/S-2021.09-SP1/linux64/suse/doc/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/local/man:/opt/quest/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/opt/quest/man

UVM_HOME=/p/psg/eda/synopsys/vcsmx/S-2021.09-SP1/linux64/suse/etc/uvm-1.1

SYNOPSYS_VCS_SCMD=vcsmx#P-2019.06-SP2-6#1:/p/psg/eda/synopsys/vcsmx/S-2021.09-SP1/linux64/suse12

SYNOPSYS_VCS_HOME=/p/psg/eda/synopsys/vcsmx/S-2021.09-SP1/linux64/suse

VCS_HOME=/p/psg/eda/synopsys/vcsmx/S-2021.09-SP1/linux64/suse

Make sure your bash env path is until linux only, for your case /tools/synopsys/vcs/T-2022.06/linux

Also, make sure before run the vcs_setup.sh, remember to grant access to vcs_setup.sh by using chmod +x

Another way will be run the vcs_setup.sh in the invoked VCS gui transcript window.

Thanks,

Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
BKB
Novice

Hi Sheng,

Thanks for the suggesting to look at the env path. For my setup the VCS_HOME was setup to /tools/synopsys/vcs/T-2022.06/

linux was missing at the end. I added it to the path and the script compiled. The script finds vcs but failed. I get the below message a few times

/tools/synopsys/vcs/T-2022.06/linux/bin/vcsMsgReport1: No such file or directory

and finally

./vcs_setup.sh: line 254: ./simv: No such file or directory

I understand that this is beyond the initial issue I had mentioned but I am new to VCS. I mostly use questa in windows environment. Thanks for your help.

Best,

BB

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi BB,

./vcs_setup.sh: line 254: ./simv: No such file or directory

This probably due to you didn't broadcast the env changes in the bash env. I believe you're using bash to run vcs_setup.sh. Can you type bash and then env to list all the env and provide the list here. Make sure to make changes to all the bash env. If still can't, try use vcsmx (/tools/synopsys/vcsmx/T-2022.06/linux) instead of vcs and see.

[Edited]: For the tool on my site, I first enter the bash mode then using arc shell vcs-vcsmx-lic,vcs/S-2021.09-SP1 to broadcast the bash env changes. I'm not sure how you broadcast the bash env changes.

Thanks,

Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi BB,

Do you have any further update or concern? Does the problem being resolved?

Thanks,

Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
BKB
Novice

Hi Sheng, 

Thanks for following up. I didn't broadcast the bash env changes yet. I just made the change the VCS_HOME that was in the env for me. I have to talk to somebody at work to broadcast or confirm if it does not break or change anything for others. I will get back to you once I get some information from them.

Best,

BB

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi BB,

Understood that. Let me know if there's any further concern or update.

Thanks,

Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos