Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16642 Discussions

USB-Blaster not detected by Quartus 23.1

IvanCaetano
Novice

Hi,

1 - install quartus prime lite 23.1 - OK

2 - install USB-blaster driver - OK (apear Altera USB-Blaster working properly on device manager)

But, when I click "Tools->Programmer->Hardware Setup-> Current selected hardware" the usb-blaster don't apear to be selected (but it's ok on device manager).

I've done this sequence using Windows 11 22H2 and Windows 10 22H2, and I have the same problem.

Whai is missing/ problem?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Dumb question: are you saying that the usb blaster doesn't appear in the pop-up list to select the hardware in "Currently selected hardware"?

And what does it look like in Device Manager?  Maybe the driver needs to be reinstalled.

0 Kudos
IvanCaetano
Novice

In Device Manager, it's ok, driver installed and named "Altera USB-Blaster". But it doesn't appear  in the pop-up list ("Currently selected hardware").

I've reinstalled the driver (many times) and even tried one for win7 (suggestion of another forum). 

Is there any step after driver installation or just "see" it in the Quartus'Hardware Setup?

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

Kindly refer to KDB below and let me know how it goes:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000073673.html

Another option to test, can you used another USB Blaster on the same system? Does the USB blaster appear?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
IvanCaetano
Novice

Hi NurAiman_M_Intel.

I followed the stpes to disable “Altera JTAG Server”, but the USB-Blaster is not being detected by quartus yet. (done in 2 different laptops)

I bought another USB-Blaster today and I'll test it tomorrow.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Did you install the driver when you installed Quartus?  You may need the USB Blaster II driver (instead of just USB Blaster). 

0 Kudos
IvanCaetano
Novice

I installed the driver by:

"update driver in de Device Manager    ->    path "intelFPGA_lite\23.1std\quartus\drivers"     ->    selected checkbox "include subfolders"    ->    windows select the best driver in this path and install it.

I'm using a USB-Blaster like this.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

That's a third-party clone of a USB Blaster that, as a number of reviews state, is garbage.

0 Kudos
IvanCaetano
Novice

Solved.

I've just tested another USB-Blaster and it's working on Windows 10. On Win11 the problem persists, as expected.

Could you point me a USB-Blaster good  but not too expensive as original intel USB-Blaster? 

Thank you everyone for your support.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos