Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Warning (18029): Output pin [...] cannot be tri-stated

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I get the following warning (for each line of "Data") in my design: 

"Warning (18029): Output pin "_subnet_pin_406" driven by bidirectional pin "Data(0)" cannot be tri-stated" 

"Data" is a bidirectional bus, the Pins should be tristated, when the FPGA makes a read access. I'm working with a Cyclone III and Quartus 12.0SP2. The Design seems to work on my board, and the RLT schematic shows tristate buffers at the outputs. 

The Quartus help says:  

CAUSE: 

The specified output pin is driven by both the specified bidirectional pin and tri-stated logic. However, the current device does not support a tri-stated output pin. When the output pin is not driven by either the logic or the bidirectional pin, its output value is undefined. 

ACTION: 

If the output pin is always driven by either the logic or the bidirectional pin, no action is required. Otherwise, insert an extra tri-state buffer before the output pin. 

I don't understand, what the quartus help wants to say. The sentence doesn't make much sense to me... ;-) 

can anyone help me to understand the warning? 

Regards, 

Ego
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, please post code or schema to help you more. 

(How do you declare those pins ?)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, please post code or schema to help you more. 

(How do you declare those pins ?) 

--- Quote End ---  

I also have this problem.I doubt that what Output pin "_subnet_pin_406" means. Where is _subnet_pin_406 ?I can't find it in the design.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I also have this problem. I'm using Quartus 13.0 and I'm targetting a Cyclone IV GX. 

I simplified my design to this: 

escc_data_out <= "00010100"; ESCC_DATA <= escc_data_out when blink = '0' else "ZZZZZZZZ";  

ESCC_DATA is also used as an input somewhere in the design. 

I get some warning for the whole bus: 

Warning (18029): Output pin "pre_syn.bp.ESCC_CTRL_ESCC_DATA_IN_0_" driven by bidirectional pin "ESCC_DATA" cannot be tri-stated  

The RTL view seems correct: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8278  

However, the post mapping view shows some strange things. Sometimes the blink signal is connected to the tri-state buffer enable pin, sometimes it is connected to the tri-state buffer input. 

If I don't use ESCC_DATA as an input, I don't have warnings anymore. 

Any idea ? 

Franck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

There is something about this in the Altera Knowledge Base: http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd11152011_728.html  

However, I resolved this problem (warning) using the Megawizard generated ALTIOBUF configured for bidirectional operation. 

Franck.
0 Kudos