Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16638 Discussions

counter and realization clock - compilation OK / simulation Not OK

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello dears developpers ,  

I'm realizing a little progressive project in VHDL. 

I use for that the Quartus II Web edition (v9.1). 

Now I have a problem with the clock signal creation... I realized two style of counter (different code) and I get always the same result, when I perform my simulation, there are some glitch on my clock signal. 

see the picture  

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12606&stc=1  

I don't know why I have this phenomenon - I explain in french my different issues seens during my developpment here : (https://fixme.ch/wiki/talk:langage_vhdl

and I placed my complet code in the github store : https://github.com/philouxy/langage-vhdl---exemple-code-/tree/master/project_2_juggler  

If you have an idea, I accept gladly.  

In advance thank you for your help.  

Best regards,  

Philippe
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That simulation is a timing simulation. clk_2Hz is an asynchronous output. It happens because not all of the bits of the counter change at exactly the same time, causing the <= return true/false for a small amount of time. Im guessing that bit 3 is changing quicker than bits 0,1,2, momentarily giving you "1111" when it switches to 8, and is slower than the rest, giving you "1001" when it switches to 12. This will give you the glitches: 

Solution - make clk_2hz_sim a register: 

process(CLK_1_8MHZ) begin if rising_edge(CLK_1_8MHZ) then if (compteur_num_p <= VAL_MAX_CMPT_DIV_2) then clk_2Hz_SIM <= '0'; else clk_2Hz_SIM <= '1'; end if; end if; end process;  

On another important note - what are you generating this clock for? generating clocks for other logic is bad practice as it is prone to timing problems and glitches (as you can see). You should use clock enables instead.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure this is really a clock for digital logic, at 2 Hz, and it's also an output of the RTL? I'm thinking it's really just a pulse that makes the LED segments change... But, yeah, the glitches are real, and it's due to your logic after the flop. Put the assignment to clk_2Hz_SIM in a clocked process.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Tricky and Susannah,  

Thank you for your help.  

For the frequency of 2Hz, it's just to do blinking a 7 seg display - but i don't know if there will have a best practise to realize a slow clock  

here my new code with signal synchronisation  

-------------- -- compteur -- -------------- CMPT_ETAT_FUTUR_2HZ : process(compteur_num_p) begin if (compteur_num_p >= VAL_MAX_COMPTEUR_2HZ) then compteur_num_f <= (others => '0'); else compteur_num_f <= compteur_num_p + 1; end if; end process; CMPT_ETAT_PRESENT_2HZ : process(CLK_1_8MHZ) begin if ((CLK_1_8MHZ'event) and (CLK_1_8MHZ = '1')) then compteur_num_p <= compteur_num_f; end if; end process; -- ----------------------------------------- -- -- Horloge 2Hz rapport cyclique de 50% -- -- ----------------------------------------- CLK_2HZ_50P : process (compteur_num_p) begin if rising_edge (CLK_1_8MHZ) then if (compteur_num_f <= VAL_MAX_CMPT_DIV_2) then clk_2Hz <= '0'; else clk_2Hz <= '1'; end if; end if; end process; clk_2Hz_SIM <= clk_2Hz;  

Still thank for your explanation.  

Best regards,  

Philippe
0 Kudos