Items with no label
3335 Discussions

I would like to get the Python bindings for the realSense d435

JDrap2
Beginner

I Keep getting errors when clicking on links to sites given in the forum.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you are seeking the RealSense SDK's Python wrapper, it can be found at the link below.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/tree/master/wrappers/python

0 Kudos
JDrap2
Beginner

Thanx very much, I think we'll be able to use this information.

0 Kudos
JDrap2
Beginner

Also, this wrapper is OLD according to the readme, but cannot be imported using Python 3. Is there any upgrades or information where I can use this with Python 3.

0 Kudos
JDrap2
Beginner

Also, this us using an older ver of Ubuntu... we are using ver 18 or greater, so has any other work being done to work with Ubuntu 18, and Python 3?

0 Kudos
JDrap2
Beginner

Is the library LibRealSense, you sent me in that GitHub repo, compatible with the RealSense d435 camera with the current or latest firmware installed? If it is, it may very well be compatible and suitable with Realsense SDK 2.0. In one instance they say it is compatible with SDK 2.0 and in this readme, they say it isn't. So which is it? We need it to work with Python 3.5 or greater, and ubuntu 16.04.

0 Kudos
JDrap2
Beginner

We understand that intel has declared OpenVINO as the replacement for SDK 2.0. The question is, is that so, then we need to know whether the above hardware works with OpenVINO. Its been stated that Intel is the only developer, and intended to me open, but right now, it is NOT open, thus I found no Python bindings for Python 3 for OpenVINO. Which I think IS compatible with Python 3.x

We really want to use the latest from Intel, but are afraid if we spend a lot of time playing around with the older RealSense SDK librealsense v1.12.1 which may not be supported in the future or can soon be deprecated. As if it would even work with the latest version of Python 3.7.2

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The Python wrapper that I linked to is the most recent version available and has received updates in the past month. It can be used with Python 3 if it is compiled from source.

This wrapper has no connection to the older 1.12 version of Librealsense. The documentation is mentioning that there are two similarly named but incompatible Pyrealsenses - Pyrealsense 2.x (the old one for Librealsense 1.12) and Pyrealsense2 (the modern one used with SDK 2.0), and that you should be using Pyrealsense2. For example, if you see Pyrealsense 2.2, that is an iteration of the older Pyrealsense that should not be used.

The pip install pyrealsense2 method is the easiest way to set up Pyrealsense2.

I am not aware of any plans to replace SDK 2.0 with OpenVINO. Although OpenVINO can and has been used with RealSense cameras, officially Intel tends to keep OpenVINO and RealSense totally separate.

If you need to use OpenVINO with RealSense, an avenue you could explore would be the ROS2 OpenVINO Toolkit.

https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-openvino-toolkit-release-initial-version-v0-3-0/6234

0 Kudos
JDrap2
Beginner

Marty, I really would like to talk to you privately, please email me at jdcrunchman@gmail.com

Thanx

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I will drop you an email.

0 Kudos