Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Intel Realsense D435 wrong Depth Values

Umer
Beginner

Intel Realsense D435 is having calibration problems and depth values are completely wrong when it is used without Aluminium casing. How can it be solved and is there something that I had missed while reading the Datasheet related to Aluminium casing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello Umer, As MartyG previously mentioned, you can create a 3D print for casing when using the D430 Module + Vision Processor D4. As for taking out the Aluminium case of the D435 camera, this is not recommended, as calibration issues and depth inaccuracy are expected behaviors, since the camera was designed to work as it was sold. The specifications of the cover material that can be used with Intel RealSense D400 Series can be found at page number 119, Appendix B- Cover Material and at page 81, Cover Design and Material Guidance from datasheet. - https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/Intel-RealSense-D400-Series-Datasheet.pdf like MartyG mentioned. You can check theses specifications in order to avoid any performances looses. One example of such an material is presented at page 82 from the datasheet, at Notes: "Uncoated clear acrylic (plexiglass) plastic cover is an example for cover material". Thank you and best regards, Eliza

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Could you tell me please if you took the casing off a D435 camera and are using it without the casing? Or do you mean that you have a D430 Module Kit camera board?

If you have removed the casing from a D435 USB camera then you may need to replace the transparent covering that the casing provides for the camera lenses. The link below has a lot of detail on this subject.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004EYF5bSAH/recommended-baffles-to-shield-realsense-d435-camera-from-glares

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Umer
Beginner

I took the casing off a D435 camera because of the small size of the gadget I am working on

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Okay, thanks. This should be fine for product prototyping. If you are going to turn it into a commercial product later then you should combine a D430 Module Kit board with a Vision Processor D4 board and join the two board with a flexible custom cable to best use the space avsilable inside your product.​

0 Kudos
Umer
Beginner

I'm making a commercial product. Even after combining D430 Module Kit, Vision processor D4 board and connecting them with cable that would be still without transparent casing. Are you saying that Module kit will take care of that?

Can you please elaborate?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You cannot purchase a casing for your boards but there is the possibility to have a custom casing produced for your product, perhaps through 3D printing (either doing it yourself or having a company print it from a CAD model file for you). This custom-made casing should include a transparent material covering the sensors that conforms to the specifications for the cover that are in the data sheet document. This information is on the very last page of the data sheet.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000026827/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology.html

0 Kudos
Umer
Beginner

Thank You for your guidance.

I want to put the camera in a close fitting. It's like I have to a hammer it a little to fit in that space. Is there any effect on the Depth values when the camera with its proper casing receive a few jerks? I want highly accurate depth values

0 Kudos
Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello Umer, As MartyG previously mentioned, you can create a 3D print for casing when using the D430 Module + Vision Processor D4. As for taking out the Aluminium case of the D435 camera, this is not recommended, as calibration issues and depth inaccuracy are expected behaviors, since the camera was designed to work as it was sold. The specifications of the cover material that can be used with Intel RealSense D400 Series can be found at page number 119, Appendix B- Cover Material and at page 81, Cover Design and Material Guidance from datasheet. - https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/Intel-RealSense-D400-Series-Datasheet.pdf like MartyG mentioned. You can check theses specifications in order to avoid any performances looses. One example of such an material is presented at page 82 from the datasheet, at Notes: "Uncoated clear acrylic (plexiglass) plastic cover is an example for cover material". Thank you and best regards, Eliza
0 Kudos
Umer
Beginner

Thank You for your assistance

0 Kudos