Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Intel Realsense R200, "Init Failed" Error

SSAMR
Beginner

Screenshot (1).pngI'm using the Intel Realsense RDK that comes with the R200 camera. I've installed the corresponding DCM and then I installed the SDK and I'm attempting to run the "Raw Stream.cs" example but when I start the software, I get a message that says "Init Failed".

I'm running this software on the Intel NUC, I've made sure that the camera is detected and plugged into a USB 3.0 slot. I've also attempted other USB slots to make sure but no progress. The NUC is running on an Intel i5 and the installed RAM is 8 GB so I do not think that it's a compatibility issue. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Are you using the '2016 R3' SDK please? If so, the R200 will not work with it as R200 support ended after '2016 R2'.

You can launch a 1.8 gb download in your browser of '2016 R2' using the link below.

http://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/vcp/9078/intel_rs_sdk_offline_package_10.0.26.0396.exe

0 Kudos
SSAMR
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using the 2016 R2 version, that one that you attached a link to.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thank you. The next step I would recommend is to type 'camera explorer' into the text box at the bottom of your Windows screen, next to the button where you shut down the PC. This will enable you to find a tool to test if the camera is detected.​

0 Kudos
SSAMR
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. The pictures attached pretty much shows what I did.Screenshot (2).png

From here, I just clicked on the "Intel Realsense 3D Camera (R200)" and the result of that is in the second picture.

Screenshot (3).png

I got this error message after a few seconds of waiting. It's odd that the camera is being detected but there are errors. I've also gone into device manager and made sure that the drivers are fine and they seemed to be fine.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Also, does the camera work with other R2 sample programs?​

0 Kudos
SSAMR
Beginner

They don't from what I understand but I'm not sure if I need to mess with the settings. I went into RDK Sample Browser, clicked on the R200 Samples, tried the first one which is the "Person Tracking (C++)", and for a few seconds the GUI says "Init Started" but then it goes to "Init Failed" which is essentially the same problem I originally had with the other sample.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

A​s mentioned in the reply I gave about USB power stability, the Init Failed message is also typical of camera detection cut out.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

That error screen used to happen to me with the SR300 camera model. It suggests that the issue is related to the stability of the power supplied to the USB ports by your NUC, and that the camera cuts out when its power demands rise as it is turned on by an app.​

I recall that the 2014 / 2015 era NUCs used to work excellently with the​ early RealSense cameras, but USB problems with RealSense became more frequent with the models in later years.

Detection failure issues occur less often if using the camera​ with a mains powered USB hub instead of plugging it directly into the PC.

0 Kudos
SSAMR
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry for the long pause, I had to gather some information. Pretty much what's going on is that I'm trying to use the camera R200 for people detection on an autonomous robot so I was looking to use the SDK for facial recognition or even the hand detection that it has to offer. I'm able to get access to the newer models of the camera, for example, the D435i but I see that there's a different SDK for it and doesn't have similar examples to work off of like the older version. Would you have any suggestions going about this if I end up getting the newer camera? I would prefer to use Windows since I'm using the NUC for more than just the Realsense, but some applications on Ubuntu would be fine as well.

*** I meant to reply to this message but ended up replying to my own post, so if you see the other one, just ignore it. ***

0 Kudos
SSAMR
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry for the long pause, I had to gather some information. Pretty much what's going on is that I'm trying to use the camera R200 for people detection on an autonomous robot so I was looking to use the SDK for facial recognition or even the hand detection that it has to offer. I'm able to get access to the newer models of the camera, for example, the D435i but I see that there's a different SDK for it and doesn't have similar examples to work off of like the older version. Would you have any suggestions going about this if I end up getting the newer camera? I would prefer to use Windows since I'm using the NUC for more than just the Realsense, but some applications on Ubuntu would be fine as well.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

A member of the RealSense community called McCool published a complete guide to building a mobile 'turtlebot' robot that uses R200, including hardware and software designs. You may find it useful in applying the R200 to your own robot project.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/build-an-autonomous-mobile-robot-with-the-intel-realsense-camera-ros-and-sawr

A group of Intel employees also did a personal project with the R200 in 2015 called Spatial Awareness Wearable (SAW), which could detect when an obstacle such as a person was approaching the camera and trigger a response . In the case of this project, the response was activating vibrator pads placed on the body of a visually impaired person that correspond to where the obstacle is approaching from).

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/583851

You should use the side-panel options on this site to navigate it, as the Getting Started link no longer goes to the right place.

If you want some more advanced options for person detection and hand detection that you could use with R200, the OpenCV vision software offers some options for expansion modules. For examples, google for 'opencv person detection' and 'opencv hand detection'.

If you do decide to upgrade to a 400 Series camera, the commercial 'Nuitrack SDK' software, which has a Windows version, would be your best option for body face and gesture tracking. It has an annual licence fee of just $29.99

https://nuitrack.com/

Here is an example use with a mobile turtlebot robot of Nuitrack's body tracking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehsqCrsGoQo

The code for this project in the YouTube video is posted here:

https://github.com/shinselrobots

0 Kudos
Alexandra_C_Intel
Hi SSAMR, Thank you for your interest in the Intel RealSense R200 camera. You should test it on a different system. If it works, then the problem is most likely with the NUC. If it doesn't, then the problem is most likely with the camera itself. You can upgrade to the D400 series and use the Nuitrack SDK for person detection, but you should be aware that the D400 series and R200 cameras are not well suited for gesture recognition. Regards, Alexandra
0 Kudos