Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

BSP fails to build for FreeRTOS on a Nios V with UART

Andrew099
Beginner

I have a Nios V on a Max 10 with a UART (RS-232 Serial Port) Intel FPGA IP (and also JTAG UART). When I opened up the BSP editor, I selected FreeRTOS and went with all the defaults and made a BSP. However, when I try building a bare bones hello world C program, the BSP fails to build. It says that the BSP source file altera_avalon_uart_init.c has OS_FLAG_SET as undeclared, and similarly, it says the BSP file altera_avalon_uart_read.c has OS_FLAG_WAIT_SET_ANY undeclared. Also, altera_avalon_uart_write.c has OS_FLAG_CONSUME undeclared. How do I get the BSP to build?

I can use UART with HAL rather than FreeRTOS, and it works fine for the Nios V.

(I am using Quartus 23.1 STD.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

In the "freertos/drivers/src/":

• intel_lw_uart_init.c
    • line 228~:

if (sp->tx_start == ((sp->tx_end + 1) & ALT_AVALON_UART_BUF_MSK))

{ 

ALT_FLAG_POST (sp->events, 

ALT_UART_WRITE_RDY,

ALT_FLAG_SET);

}

• intel_lw_uart_read.c
    • line 205~:

ALT_FLAG_PEND (sp->events, 

ALT_UART_READ_RDY,

ALT_FLAG_WAIT_SET_ANY_WITH_CONSUME,

ALT_FLAG_WAIT_MAX_TIMEOUT);

• intel_lw_uart_write.c
    • line 192~:

ALT_UART_WRITE_RDY,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Can you share the files, I would like replicate this on my side.

0 Kudos
Andrew099
Beginner

Sure, I attached a Quartus archive of an example where the BSP won't build.

The C file doesn't have to have any substance to it. The following is fine:

// main.c
int main() {
   return 0;
}

1. Open the Quartus project using Quartus 23.1 STD, and compile it.
  2. Create a BSP:
    • enter a niosv shell and open the BSP editor
    • select the sopcinfo file
    • select FreeRTOS
    • go with all other defaults
    • generate
  3. Use the niosv-app to create a cmake file.
  4. Run cmake and then make. (I'm using Linux.)
0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the info provided, let me test this on our side.

Also, could you provide the Quartus build version? You can find this in the "Help" tab in Quartus.

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

mailbox_simple doesnt compile either:

/projects/c5_nios/software/freertos_bsp/drivers/src/altera_avalon_mailbox_simple.c:36:10: fatal error: nios2.h: No such file or directory
   36 | #include "nios2.h"
      |          ^~~~~~~~~

This is FreeRTOS for NiosV Quartus Prime Lite 23.1 Build 991.

0 Kudos
Andrew099
Beginner

Thanks. I'm using Quartus Pime Version 23.1std.0 Build 991 11/28/2023 SC Standard Edition

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I am a bit caught up on my side, I will try to get the test in the next few days.

Thank you for your patience, I shall get back to you soon.

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

"On-Chip Flash Intel FPGA IP" doesnt compile either:

In file included from freertos_bsp/drivers/src/altera_onchip_flash.c:32:
freertos_bsp/drivers/src/altera_onchip_flash.c: In function 'alt_onchip_flash_erase_block':
freertos_bsp/HAL/inc/io.h:126:34: error: expected expression before 'do'
  126 | #define SWIO(BASE, OFFSET, DATA) do {                   \
      |                                  ^~

0 Kudos
Broddo
New Contributor I

I've experienced this one as well. The reason is that the do {} while(0) is surrounded by a brace due to the macro expansion in altera_onchip_flash_regs.h

You can fix it by modifying each of the macros altera_onchip_flash_regs.h and removing the outermost brackets like so:

Old:

#define ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_ENABLE_WRITE_AND_ERASE_OPERATION(base)              \
    (                                                                           \
        IOWR_ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL((base),                                \
            (IORD_ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL((base))                           \
            &                                                                   \
                ~(                                                              \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_ALLSECTOR_WRITE_PROTECT_MSK |   \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_PAGE_ERASE_MSK |                \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_SECTOR_ERASE_MSK                \
                )                                                               \
            )                                                                   \
            |                                                                   \
                (                                                               \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_ALLSECTOR_WRITE_ENABLE |        \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_PAGE_ERASE_NOT_SET |            \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_SECTOR_ERASE_NOT_SET            \
        )                                                                       \
    )

Modified:

#define ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_ENABLE_WRITE_AND_ERASE_OPERATION(base)              \
        IOWR_ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL((base),                                \
            (IORD_ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL((base))                           \
            &                                                                   \
                ~(                                                              \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_ALLSECTOR_WRITE_PROTECT_MSK |   \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_PAGE_ERASE_MSK |                \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_SECTOR_ERASE_MSK                \
            )                                                                   \
            |                                                                   \
                (                                                               \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_ALLSECTOR_WRITE_ENABLE |        \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_PAGE_ERASE_NOT_SET |            \
                    ALTERA_ONCHIP_FLASH_CONTROL_SECTOR_ERASE_NOT_SET            \
        )                                                                       \

@EBERLAZARE_I_Intel Can you flag this to be patched as well? And any news on when the UART fix will be submitted? This is affecting me also. 

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I was able to replicate the issue, I will channel this to our internal team.

I will update to you once we have any new info on this.

Thank you for your patience.

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

The lightweight uart has the same problem.

0 Kudos
Andrew099
Beginner

Okay, thank you for looking into it, and yes, please do let me know when you have more info on it.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

We are still working on a patch fix for 23.1 std, I will check again if that will include for 23.1 std lite.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

We are still working on a proper fix for this. We will update to you soon.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

The changes for this error is to change the driver's code "\software\freertos_bsp\drivers\src"and modify the LW_UART HAL API as such (a KDB for this will be published):

• intel_lw_uart_init.c

• intel_lw_uart_read.c

• intel_lw_uart_write.c

However, for MAX 10, making this changes will increase the size of the .elf, and it would not fit the maximum size for MAX 10's OCRAM due to its size. Thus we regret to inform you, that MAX 10 cannot support FreeRTOS due to its memory limitation. You may continue with the Altera HAL or in the future consider a bigger FPGA.

0 Kudos
Andrew099
Beginner
0 Kudos
Broddo
New Contributor I

The reason for the large execution size is due to the sneaky call to printf() in the provided vApplicationStackOverflowHook in FreeRTOS:

void vApplicationStackOverflowHook( TaskHandle_t xTask, char *pcTaskName )
{
    /*  To suspress unused argument warning. */
	( void ) xTask;

printf("Stack overflow task is %s \r\n",pcTaskName);
    taskDISABLE_INTERRUPTS();
    __asm volatile( "ebreak" );
    for( ;; );
}

This pulls in large chunks of the standard library and completely bloats the code. Simply disabling the stack overflow check in the BSP is enough to shrink the code size enough to fit in the OCRAM on a MAX10 no problem. I'd suggest removing this and using one of the ALT_LOG functions going forward.  

0 Kudos
andy25
New Contributor I

all of your links are broken

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Let me try to reattach:

• intel_lw_uart_init.c

• intel_lw_uart_read.c

• intel_lw_uart_write.c

Again, for MAX 10, making this changes will increase the size of the .elf, and it would not fit the maximum size for MAX 10's OCRAM due to its size. You may continue to use Altera HAL or in the future consider a bigger FPGA.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

In the "freertos/drivers/src/":

• intel_lw_uart_init.c
    • line 228~:

if (sp->tx_start == ((sp->tx_end + 1) & ALT_AVALON_UART_BUF_MSK))

{ 

ALT_FLAG_POST (sp->events, 

ALT_UART_WRITE_RDY,

ALT_FLAG_SET);

}

• intel_lw_uart_read.c
    • line 205~:

ALT_UART_READ_RDY,

• intel_lw_uart_write.c
    • line 192~:

ALT_UART_WRITE_RDY,

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi Andrew,

We apologize for any inconvenience. Given this, is it okay to proceed with the Altera HAL with your design? Or do you have other FPGA?

0 Kudos