Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12608 Discussions

Does uCLinux recognize all hw components in ptf?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When compiling the kernel and using the ptf as below 

# generate nios2_system.h from ptf 

make ARCH=nios2nommu CROSS_COMPILE=nios2-linux-uclibc- hwselect SYSPTF=your_system.ptf 

Does ucLinux automatically recognize all the components in the design? (Say I added an IPcore for USB2.0, and I plugged in a USB memory stick, would ucLinux be able to read that or do I need to write some HDL/C to interface the USB design with the OS and how would I go about doing that? 

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't believe there is support for the USB Core yet. HWSELECT only supports a couple of key components, such as the RAM, JTAG UART, Flash etc... that shouldn't be your biggest worry however; you need a driver for the IP Core first before you can worry about integrating it with make HWSELECT

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The hwselect only extract component name and port address from ptf, and creat the nios2_system.h . 

It does not take care of any drivers. 

If the drivers are supported in Linux kernel you can select them in memuconfig. 

Otherwise you have to write/port them. 

In tthe USB for DE2 example, the USB chip is ISP1362, and you have to check current ISP116X drivers, or port them. It is host. 

You will also need other USB option in menuconfig, eg USB Mass storage and SCSI disk support.
0 Kudos