Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Multiple PLL clock error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anyone that has any insight to this please help! Thanks! 

My set-up is I am trying to make a project using the VGA of my DE1 Altera Development board as well as the SDRAM. 

In SOPC Builder: 

I am using the DEBoards external interface and I have the boxes selected to create a clock signal for SDRAM as well as VGA. 

I am using Altera's University Program VGA IP. 

My clock signals are as follows: 

clk - External - 50 Mhz 

dram_int_clk - External - 50 Mhz 

vga_int_clk - VGA<-DE_board - 25 Mhz 

Note: I tried the design two ways the latest is as stated above. The other is I tried it without the "dram_int_clk" clock at all thinking maybe the external interface would just take care of it all. My choices for clock source for the dram_int_clk are &#39;External&#39; &#39;VGA<-DE_Board&#39; and a blank choice. It would make perfect sense and really seems like there should be a &#39;Dram<-DE_Board&#39; option since it seems like thats created by the external interface. But this option does not exist. 

Current Quartus Set-up: 

In the block diagram I have the clock output signal created by the system for the DRAM wired back around to the &#39;dram_int_clk&#39; input pin to the block diagram. There is the boards 50Mhz clock pin assigned to the input pin to the clk signal input. There is an output for the vga_int_clk signal but I am currently not doing anything with that signal. 

When I compile: 

Sythesis completes 

Fitter fails and I get the message "Input clock "clk" cannot feed more than one PLL" 

I am confused most by this because I am not directly assigning the clock signal &#39;clk&#39; to anymore than one pin. I&#39;ve read that you can manually combine clock generation signals into one PLL but I have no idea how to go about doing that. And if I do do it will the clock signals maintain their present phase shifts? 

Again, ANY insight from anybody will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks everyone!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by zippyua@Mar 1 2007, 06:04 PM 

anyone that has any insight to this please help!  thanks! 

my set-up is i am trying to make a project using the vga of my de1 altera development board as well as the sdram. 

in sopc builder: 

i am using the deboards external interface and i have the boxes selected to create a clock signal for sdram as well as vga. 

i am using altera&#39;s university program vga ip. 

my clock signals are as follows: 

clk -                external -            50 mhz 

dram_int_clk - external -            50 mhz 

vga_int_clk -  vga<-de_board - 25 mhz 

note:  i tried the design two ways the latest is as stated above.  the other is i tried it without the "dram_int_clk" clock at all thinking maybe the external interface would just take care of it all.  my choices for clock source for the dram_int_clk are &#39;external&#39; &#39;vga<-de_board&#39; and a blank choice.  it would make perfect sense and really seems like there should be a &#39;dram<-de_board&#39; option since it seems like thats created by the external interface.  but this option does not exist. 

current quartus set-up: 

in the block diagram i have the clock output signal created by the system for the dram wired back around to the &#39;dram_int_clk&#39; input pin to the block diagram.  there is the boards 50mhz clock pin assigned to the input pin to the clk signal input.  there is an output for the vga_int_clk signal but i am currently not doing anything with that signal. 

when i compile: 

sythesis completes 

fitter fails and i get the message "input clock "clk" cannot feed more than one pll" 

i am confused most by this because i am not directly assigning the clock signal &#39;clk&#39; to anymore than one pin.  i&#39;ve read that you can manually combine clock generation signals into one pll but i have no idea how to go about doing that.  and if i do do it will the clock signals maintain their present phase shifts? 

again, any insight from anybody will be greatly appreciated!  thanks everyone! 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=21948) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

First off, I don&#39;t know if the VGA is supported in the University IP core at this point. You can generate your own clock though. I recommend not using the DE2 external interface component despite what they say. I did a similar project with the University audio core. I created a pll block diagram that took its input from the clock 50 and had to outputs with the proper clock division. I don&#39;t know what that would be for the VGA portion but if you sift through the code I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll find it. Don&#39;t forget if you are using SDRAM which I&#39;m not sure if you are that you generate a time offset within the PLL diagram. 

Best of Luck
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by zippyua@Mar 1 2007, 05:04 PM 

my set-up is i am trying to make a project using the vga of my de1 altera development board as well as the sdram. 

in sopc builder: 

i am using the deboards external interface and i have the boxes selected to create a clock signal for sdram as well as vga. 

note:  i tried the design two ways the latest is as stated above.  the other is i tried it without the "dram_int_clk" clock at all thinking maybe the external interface would just take care of it all.  my choices for clock source for the dram_int_clk are &#39;external&#39; &#39;vga<-de_board&#39; and a blank choice.  it would make perfect sense and really seems like there should be a &#39;dram<-de_board&#39; option since it seems like thats created by the external interface.  but this option does not exist. 

current quartus set-up: 

in the block diagram i have the clock output signal created by the system for the dram wired back around to the &#39;dram_int_clk&#39; input pin to the block diagram.  there is the boards 50mhz clock pin assigned to the input pin to the clk signal input.  there is an output for the vga_int_clk signal but i am currently not doing anything with that signal. 

when i compile: 

sythesis completes 

fitter fails and i get the message "input clock "clk" cannot feed more than one pll" 

i am confused most by this because i am not directly assigning the clock signal &#39;clk&#39; to anymore than one pin.  i&#39;ve read that you can manually combine clock generation signals into one pll but i have no idea how to go about doing that.  and if i do do it will the clock signals maintain their present phase shifts? 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by zippyua@Mar 1 2007, 05:04 PM 

in sopc builder: 

current quartus set-up: 

when i compile: 

sythesis completes 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

The problem seems to be the University Program VGA IP core. Very poorly put together and rushed to release. The VGA core itself works, but don&#39;t use recommended secondary core for the clocks. Just add your own PLL instead and configure using the specs in the .pdf for the VGA core.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same error caused by multiple PLL clock error.  

I am using de2 which only has ONE CLOCK_50. However, i need to drive 2 PLL. What should i do?.. 

I am the beginner and hope experts can give me some advices. Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos