Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Programming .sof file with nios dev kit stratix

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. 

I've bought an Altera Nios development Kit Stratix edition, and I want to program my FPGA with a .sof file compiled from a .gdf file. I don't have any error messages neither while compiling, nor when I program. Loading executes fine, "user" led shines an instant, but just after, the FPGA comes back in his "safe" config, which was already running since power-on or reset. 

Does someone know where could be the problem, and how to solve it?? Is it due to the Nios core, which I don't need and which is running on the default configuration?? 

If someone has any suggestion, I'd be really helped. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The problem doesn't seem to be due to a loading failure, because the system runs when I program another nios config. So, must there be a nios core in any development programmed on this board??

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Ice_Tiss, 

It&#39;s a very strange situation. I think u could check if your project pinout uses pins of the development board that could cause the reset of the board.Sorry it&#39;s only an hint http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I&#39;ve watched my prograzm but I didn&#39;t find any reset used pin. So I don&#39;t understant what happens. Even with a simple 8 bit counter, plugged on board&#39;s leds, the problem is the same.  

It seems like if my configuration is not correct and the factory configuration takes back the control. I really don&#39;t know what&#39;s going wrong!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Make sure that you have the Unused Pins for your Quartus project set to be Inputs Tristated. You can do this as follows after the project is opened in Quartus: 

1. Click on Assign --> Device 

2. Click on the Device and Pin Options Button 

3. Click on the Unused Pins Tab. 

4. This should be the first Radio button. 

Just to elaborate on why this is: 

A feature of the Nios development boards is to demonstrate remote 

reconfiguration. This is done via an FPGA I/O which is connected to 

the MAX CPLD on the board. The MAX CPLD is programmed to re-configure 

the FPGA when the signal is driven low (in this way, the FPGA can send 

a signal telling the MAX chip to reconfigure itself). For reference 

designs that include this pin and leave it high, or tri-stated, there 

is no issue. However, a user design must either drive this pin high 

manually, tri-state the pin manually, or leave the pin un-assigned and 

tri-state the unused outputs (as Subroto&#39;s instructions indicate).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found!!!!! 

Visibly, there is a pin, on EP1S10 FPGA which must be set at VCC. it&#39;s the pin U2 named PLD_RECONFIGREQ_N in the examples. 

I don&#39;t know why, but once this pin set, the program remains active after the end of loading. 

I regret that this is not told in the board&#39;s datasheets, or if it is told, it is certainly lost somewhere in the 779 (or more!) datasheet pages! 

Thanks guys for your help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same problem. Thank you for the solution!! http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You&#39;re welcome MRks! 

Now, if ever you find a solution that permits to load a .pof file, for having a non-volatile config, think to me, I haven&#39;t found yet! 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

PLD_RECONFIGREQ_N ...... unrolling the short forms: PLD_RECONFIGURATION_REQUEST_N. Now if you look at a schematic for a Nios development board your problem will make sense (find the device that signal connects to).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In fact, it&#39;s told in the nios Dev board manual that one way to start the configuration sequence is to "assert (driving 0 volts on) the MAX&#39;s reconfigreq_n input pin (from a stratix design). 

So I think holding this pin to Vcc might be a way to avoid it coming low after my config finished. But certa
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks 

In fact, it&#39;s written in the Nios Dev Board Manual that one way to start the configuration sequence is to "assert (driving 0 volts on) the MAX&#39;s reconfigreq_n input pin (from a stratix design). 

So I think holding this pin to Vcc might be a way to avoid it coming low after my config finished. Certainely not the best, but the way Jesse told me, which was setting unused pins to tristate wasn&#39;t efficient. (I don&#39;t understand why, because it sould have been!) 

And if you have an idea for programing my config and get it reloaded after power-on (I thought programing .pof file), I would be really happy! 

Have a nice day!
0 Kudos