Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

TSE MAC with Vitesse VSC8601, Simple Socket Server Example Problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I am trying to get the Simple Socket Server Example running with a PHY that is not supported by standard driver. I added a profile with the alt_tse_add_profile() function. When I start the SSS-Example I get the following console output: 

=============== Software License Reminder ================ 

This software project uses an unlicensed version of the NicheStack TCP/IP 

Network Stack - Nios II Edition. If you want to ship resulting object 

code in your product, you must purchase a license for this software from 

Altera. For information go to: "http://www.altera.com/nichestack

===================================================== 

InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.0 

Copyright 1996-2003 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved. 

prep_tse_mac 0 

Can't read the MAC address from your board (this probably means 

that your flash was erased). We will assign you a MAC address and 

static network settings 

prepared 1 interface, initializing... 

[tse_mac_init] 

INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x00141000 

INFO : PHY VITESSE VSC8601 found at PHY address 0x00 of MAC Group[0] 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Automatically mapped to tse_mac_device[0] 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Auto-Negotiation PASSED 

I checked RX and TX clock of RGMII-interface with a scope and they are there. On the RXD line I measured some action when the rx-led blinks but I didn't see anything on the TXD line. I don't know if this is OK in init phase. Software stops after saying Auto-Negotiation passed. Could anybody give me some hints where the problem is, please. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Right. By default, the TSE driver doesn't actually configure the PHY's mode.  

The PHY will come up in whatever default mode the board designer has chosen. I'm guessing you've hit a situation where either the board designer didn't configure the PHY default mode properly (or completely) or you want to use the PHY in a mode different than what was chosen. 

The software driver doesn't support this, automatically. 

Please refer to the user's guide (http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf)...specifically the alt_tse_phy_add_profile(), as that's what you'll have to do for your PHY. 

Cheers, 

- slacker 

EDIT: Ok, I missed that you've added your own profile in my first read through your post. Are you attempting DHCP or static IP configuration? Do you see anything coming from the target with Wireshark? If not, then start tracing the driver software to double-check proper initialization/configuration and to see if traffic is being sent or received (to the MAC) successfully.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am also designing using TSE MAC with RGMII interface.  

I have finished the FPGA/SoPC design and now moving to software. 

Is it possible to use Simple Socket server for my system? 

I have Broadcom's BCM5482 PHY chip. Tell me what changes I have to make in Simple socket server program to work for this system. 

Thanks, 

Mangesh.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just compile the SSS for your system, it should be able to use the MAC out of the box. 

I don't know that PHY chip. IIRC the driver automatically switches to 100Mbit/s mode if it doesn't know the PHY chip. Have a look at the driver source code to see how to add a new PHY chip reference to the driver so that it can handle it properly.
0 Kudos