Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Time limit on custom designs ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or I failed to "read the instructions" properly. 

I feel I'm asking a stupid question, but ... 

If we program a NIOS-based design of our making in the Cyclone Evaluation board, it will only run for, roughly, 10 minutes.  

It does not help that the board is connected through the JTAG UART to the Quartus programmer (tethered). 

This applies to HAL based programs and the uClinux OS. 

Can anyone help, please ?! 

Daniel
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by dumdan@Feb 20 2006, 08:07 PM 

maybe i'm doing something wrong, or i failed to "read the instructions" properly. 

i feel i'm asking a stupid question, but ... 

if we program a nios-based design of our making in the cyclone evaluation board, it will only run for, roughly, 10 minutes.  

it does not help that the board is connected through the jtag uart to the quartus programmer (tethered). 

this applies to hal based programs and the uclinux os. 

can anyone help, please ?! 

daniel 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12829) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

This seems odd; are you sure your hardware is good? When it&#39;s tethered, the box in the programmer should say that it&#39;s connected to Opencore bla bla... otherwise, you will get an error saying that it lost communication. Maybe there&#39;s a problem with your JTAG that causes communication to be lost after 10 minutes? How are you determining that your program has stopped because of the tethere operation, and not a coding/hardware error?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by jdhar+feb 20 2006, 10:59 pm--><div class='quotetop'>quote (jdhar @ feb 20 2006, 10:59 pm)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

<!--quotebegin-dumdan@Feb 20 2006, 08:07 PM 

maybe i&#39;m doing something wrong, or i failed to "read the instructions" properly. 

i feel i&#39;m asking a stupid question, but ... 

if we program a nios-based design of our making in the cyclone evaluation board, it will only run for, roughly, 10 minutes.  

it does not help that the board is connected through the jtag uart to the quartus programmer (tethered). 

this applies to hal based programs and the uclinux os. 

can anyone help, please ?! 

daniel 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12829) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

This seems odd; are you sure your hardware is good? When it&#39;s tethered, the box in the programmer should say that it&#39;s connected to Opencore bla bla... otherwise, you will get an error saying that it lost communication. Maybe there&#39;s a problem with your JTAG that causes communication to be lost after 10 minutes? How are you determining that your program has stopped because of the tethere operation, and not a coding/hardware error? 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12832)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

You&#39;re right 

So, I did try to eliminate the possibility of faulty hardware.  

The HAL based program is doing nothing else but "printf" the value of an aotoincremented software counter to "stdout". I would say that it only excersises the processor and the JTAG UART. It runs, of course, in the NIOS IDE and the output goes to the console window. 

All this time the programmer&#39;s message box is in the background and there is never any error message. The "bla, bla..." box just sits there. 

As I said, the program is not even touching other hardware when running on the custom hardware. 

Under these conditions, The tests were the following: 

1. Run the program with the "standard" "sof", that came with the board. 

Result: it just seems to run forever. We had to stop it after more than an hour. 

2. Compile one of the examples from Altera and program that "sof" in the Cyclone. Run the same program as in step 1. 

Result: is hangs after approx. 10 minuntes !!! 

Did we miss anything in the istallation procedure or something ? 

Daniel
0 Kudos