Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12610 Discussions

Using DMA for lcd screen refresh

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have done this before, successfully, but now we are having trouble with it, and I thought I would see if I am missing something. 

Our system uses SDRAM for NIOS code/data and I am also using the Altera DMAC to DMA out of that SDRAM for LCD display refresh into a FIFO. I am using Avalon flow control to get the data. I connect the FIFO almost full signal_N to the "readyfordata_n" (along with data and write). The problem is that the DMA transfers appear to be lower priority than the NIOS instruction/data transfers, so the DMA gets starved for data when the NIOS is doing very much. Is there a way to make the DMA a higher transfer priority (note, not the interrupt priority, which you can set) than the NIOS instruction fetches? I can monitor the FIFO_EMPTY signal and see it going low during the frame, which should never happen.  

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just as a follow up. We think we figured out what was causing this. The software programmer had printf statements in for the JTAG debugging, and these seem to cause this.

0 Kudos