Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

a problem about memtest

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi all 

I construct a system including a cpu ,a on_chip_ram(6K), a flash( 1M X 16bit), a tri_state_bridge! 

I use the project of memtest in nios 5.0! 

but when I use the run... function, the console display: 

Using cable "ByteBlasterII ", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: OK 

Downloading 00000000 ( 0%) 

Downloading 00010000 (92%) 

Downloaded 70KB in 1.8s (38.8KB/s) 

Verifying 00000000 ( 0%) 

Verify failed  

Leaving target processor paused 

do these information means download success , but not verify?why? I think my flash is good, I can use vhdl to write and read flash.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is nothing to do with memory test, this is saying that nios2-download has checked the hardware in your FPGA and it doesn't match what the code is expecting. I suggest you follow one of the tutorials to learn how to program the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

While sometimes nios2-download failes due to the wrong SOPCB System is on the board (you get a message like "[...] System ID [...] does not match [...]").  

In this case, your problem is that the read back of the memory failed during download. 

See http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?a...t=st&f=2&t=1937 (http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?act=st&f=2&t=1937) for a similar discussion. 

---- 

Actually after looking more closely, you appear to be downloading to a Flash? If so, you need to use a flash programmer as the run/debug cycles use nios2-download to download to RAMs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank u! 

you are right, my sram work well, I am testing my flash, I am using sst39vf1601-70! 

But when I use flash programmer to writing my flash ,nios console display: 

make: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/altera/quartus41/project/sram/software/hello_led_3/Debug' 

nios2-flash-programmer --input=cfi_flash_0.flash --sof=`C:/altera/quartus41/sopc_builder/bin/find_sopc_component_dir my_target_board`/system/my_target_board.sof --device=1 "--cable='ByteBlasterII [LPT1]'" --base=0x00200000 

Jul 12, 2005 6:09:21 PM - (??) nios2-flash-programmer: Launching Quartus Programmer to download: 

c:/altera/quartus41/project/my_target_board/system/my_target_board.sof 

Jul 12, 2005 6:09:29 PM - (??) nios2-flash-programmer: Error opening target hardware 

Jul 12, 2005 6:09:29 PM - (??) nios2-flash-programmer: Unable to open flash-device after successfully communicating  

with target. 

It is likely that you are using a flash-programming FPGA design which 

was not created for your target board. 

In order to program flash, you must first create a purpose-built 

flash-programming design (i.e. FPGA configuration) and associate it with 

your particular board. The Nios development kit is delivered with purpose-built 

flash-programming designs pre-built for several development boards. If you wish 

to program flash on your own board, you must first create a flash-programming 

design. 

The process of creating a flash-programming design for your board is mostly 

automated. From a bash-shell, execute this script: 

mk_target_board --help 

The help-message includes references to other documentation on programming 

flash and targeting Nios systems to custom board designs. 

- exiting. 

WARNING: Default charset GBK not supported, using ISO-8859-1 instead 

make: *** [cfi_flash_0_programflash] Error 6 

make: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/altera/quartus41/project/sram/software/hello_led_3/Debug' 

but I have make target_board named my_target_board! 

why the flash cannot be open??
0 Kudos