Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

epcs_signature_read_fail_error

SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi Team,

when i tried to flash the FPGA with flash files using nios command shell,

i am getting the following error,

SERMASWATHIKA_0-1710495308386.png

Please give solution for this.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi Team, 

I am adding the reference design for ddr3 with nios . In that, we are trying to flash the EPCQ device and it is not programming properly.

SERMASWATHIKA_1-1710498387298.png

the above highlighted boot option we are trying to achieve.

the qsys system connections, bsp settings are attached as image file.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and welcome to Intel's forum.

Please give me some time to check on this issue and will get back to you with the update.

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

can you please give solution for this, as we are stucked in this.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Sorry for the delay as quite packed. Based on the checking with internal team. It seems this type of error happen because the NIOSII flash programmer is end of life (EOL).

We recommend that using Quartus Programmer + JIC to program the flash. Can see the link below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/programming-96050.html

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

hi ,

thanks for your response.

the reason for checking this is we are upgrading the design from 13.1 to 22.1 . In 13.1 design, we have used cyclone iii and now we are upgrading the device to cyclone v gx device in 22.1.

In 13.1 design , we have used flash file as programming files.

from what you have said, we cant use flash files as programming file as flash programmer is EOL.

So we need to adapt the jic file programming format.

is there any other way to use flash file format?

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

hi,

i have tried to generate .jic file also but i am getting error as address overlap

SERMASWATHIKA_0-1710937766599.png

can you please give solution for this.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

You are getting error related to this same thread.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Quartus-Prime-Software/Error-to-add-HEX-file-in-Convert-Program-File-tool/td-p/189986

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000086201.html

You can try below step to solve it.

Add your Hex file in project directory (Should be visible in files window)  

1. Go to file ->Memory Files->Hex Decimal(Intel Format) File->select ->Ok 

2.Number of words and word size Tab will open ->Let it be default values dont change any values. 

3.New hex file will be opened in your  

4. go to tools->options->Memory Editor->Uncheck the option Read or write Hexadecimal Files (.hex) using byte addressing (Intel format)->Ok 

5.Open you hex file one after the other by double clicking it (from project navigator->files)->hex file word size tab will be opened ->click ok 

6.Again go to tools->options->Memory Editor->check the option Read or write Hexadecimal Files (.hex) using byte addressing (Intel format)->Ok 

7. do same for another hex file from step -3. 

Now generate the .pof file. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

ok i will check this.

I have one more query related to this.

Is there any other way to use the flash file setup programming method... can we use Quartus_pgm command method?

because in 13.1 version design programming, flash setup is used.

we are trying to retain the same flash file configuration.

the following configuration commands we have used for 13.1 design,

jtagconfig

nios2-configure-sof mem_check.sof

nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --base=0xA006000 mem_check.flash

nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --base=0xA006000 mem_check.jtag

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

It seems the flash file setup programming is the only choice left now.

The quartus_pgm command method is also directed to the use of Nios II flash programmer which is already End of Life.

Thank you.

Regards,

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Is the issue resolved?

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

Jic file programming is working now, i am trying flash program command quartus_pgm to configure the EPCQ.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi Sermaswathika,

I am sorry for the confused closing ticket last time. It is because you stated that JIC file programming is already working.

Regarding your question about this -

"the following configuration commands we have used for 13.1 design,

jtagconfig

nios2-configure-sof mem_check.sof

nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --base=0xA006000 mem_check.flash

nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --base=0xA006000 mem_check.jtag"

Quartus_pgm command method cannot be used here anymore as the tool nios2-flash-programme.exe is not supported. Thats why we only supporting the JIC file programming using the quartus programmer.

Is there anything else I can help?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
SERMASWATHIKA
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for your confirmation . Because we have to inform to customer that flash file programming is obsolete..JIC file programming is the only option to program EPCQ . I will use jic file programming option.

Thank you.

0 Kudos