Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14561 Discussions

13900k and 14900k, directx12, windows 11

Jg615f
Beginner
Does anyone know if the problems with the 13900k and the 14900k running direct X12 games and programs have been solved by either Microsoft in Windows 11 or by Intel? Aside from lowering your p cores and all the other tuning possibilities which are not actually fixes.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I

I think, as of now, there have been reports of issues with the 13900k and the 14900k processors when running DirectX 12 games. Many users have encountered crashes while playing games or running some programs under DX12. 

Some have found workarounds, such as decreasing the pcore to 52x, but this solution doesn’t work for everyone.

Here are a few steps to try to fix the issue:

1. Update Windows: Press Windows + I to open System Settings, then navigate to Update & Security. Check for any available updates and install them. After installation, reboot your machine. Usually, this will activate DirectX 12 for most games2.

2. Check Graphics Drivers: Ensure that your graphics card drivers are up to date. You can download and install the recommended version from the support page of your PC manufacturer3.

3. Memory Considerations: Some users have reported success by adjusting their RAM. For instance, replacing RAM running at 6000 MHz with a different set running at 5600 MHz resolved the issue for one user. Additionally, downgrading the GPU driver may also help

But these solutions might not work universally, but they are worth trying. 

Cheers,

H_Mlysgeek

0 Kudos
Jg615f
Beginner
I appreciate your attempt to help, but this issue is well documented and far beyond gpu drivers, windows os updates and I specifically asked if solutions were in the works from the companies mentioned. I also didn't ask for p cores to be reduced in the first post.
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Jg615f.

Thank you for posting in our Community. 

We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once available.

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Jg615f.

I appreciate your patience. Kindly be informed that I will be sending you an email shortly as it includes some confidential information regarding this matter.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Jg615f
Beginner
Is there any update from Intel, partners or affiliates on this matter? Or is this just the type of instability we can expect from our very expensive purchases of the latest consumer Intel CPUs?
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Jg615f.

Just a heads up, we've sent you an email with all the details about your concern.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Jg615f.

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Kindly let us know if you still need assistance.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Jg615f
Beginner
Are these options considered undervolting? Or what is the best terminology for the process I'm being asked to perform?
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Jg615f.

Thank you for your response. Kindly be informed that I will be sending you an email shortly as it includes some confidential information regarding this matter.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Jg615f
Beginner
From Intel Moderator after asking about my system specs:

Hello,

Thank you for your response. As we carefully looked into the issue, Intel has acknowledged the existence of issues affecting the 13th and 14th Gen unlocked desktop processors under specific workloads. We are actively collaborating with our partners to investigate the nature of these problems.

In the meantime, if you continue to experience problems with your system, particularly with your processor, and you have a Gigabyte motherboard, please see the following troubleshooting guidelines below:

• Solution A):
    • In BIOS, select "ADVANCED MODE", in the Tweaker tab, locate the CPU Vcore and select the "Normal" option, select "Dynamic Vcore(DVID)" option, change it from "Auto" to "+0.005V" Increase the DVID by +0.005 and reboot OS, until the game crash disappears and the system is running stable.
  • Solution B):
    • In BIOS, select "Tweaker", select "Advanced Voltage Settings", select "CPU/VRAM Settings", adjust "CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration", recommend starting from "Low" to "Medium" until the system is stable.
After implemented A or B, run the XTU test again, and if the AVX2 test can pass. Run games and see if the issue happens again.

We look forward to your response regarding this matter. To allow you ample time to respond/provide the information above, is it okay if we follow up with you on Thursday, March 28, 2024? If we have not heard from you, we will check back with you on the date mentioned above to make sure that we can efficiently address your concern.

Have a delightful day ahead!

Best regards,

Von M.

Me:

Are these options considered undervolting? Or what is the best terminology for the process I'm being asked to perform?

Mod:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply to our Intel Community Threads. In response to your query about whether the suggested options constitute undervolting: they do not. Instead, these are measures to increase the processor voltage. This solution is determined to be the most suitable for your processor following our thorough analysis. 

We look forward to your response regarding this matter. To allow you ample time to respond/provide the information above, is it okay if we follow up with you on Thursday, April 4, 2024? If we have not heard from you, we will check back with you on the date mentioned above to make sure that we can efficiently address your concern.

Me:

• Solution A):
    • In BIOS, select "ADVANCED MODE", in the Tweaker tab, locate the CPU Vcore and select the "Normal" option, select "Dynamic Vcore(DVID)" option, change it from "Auto" to "+0.005V" Increase the DVID by +0.005 and reboot OS, until the game crash disappears and the system is running stable.

in this option, I should increase the voltage by the specified amount until it passes an xtu test and plays games that are directx12? Is there a specific criteria for the xtu test?
Is this option potentially dangerous for the cpu? Is raising the voltage going to cause thermal throttle issues?

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Jg615f.

Thank you for your response. 

Kindly be informed that I will be sending you an email shortly as it contains confidential information related to this matter.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos