Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14565 Discussions

Assistance Needed PC configuration build.

idata
Employee

As of right now i Built a system that worked previously for 5 days in operation for gaming. The specs are

Motherboard: Asus X99-E W/S USB 3.1

CPU: Intel Core I7 6850K

Ram: Gskill Trident Z 16x4 GB @ 3200 mhz 14ns latency Cas/Ras

HDD: 1.2 TB Intel 750 SSD PCIE 3.0 X4

PSU: Be quiet DarkPower Pro 1200 Watt

Optical Drive: LG Bluray Player 48x16x12 RW

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 ultra tower

I was in windows 10 from a cold boot for about two minutes and the thing shutdown abruptly. After it shutdown, i could not boot the system back up to post. I hit the power button, the fans would start spinning and click on and off in a looping fashion every 3 seconds. My initial thought was the PSU was bad, So i RMA the power supply. I got a brand new replacement of that same model, plugged it in re-seated the connectors the problem still persisted. Power button gets pushed it does not fully power on to begin posting. Still puzzled, i sent my board to Asus to have it looked at through the RMA process. I shipped the board, out they sent me the same board back. It was off to one of their repair facilities. So at the very least it should have been tested, it passed on their part (allegedly).

So after going through two power supplies and shipping the board back for a repair. I re-assemble and re-seat the hardware. My computer still shuts off within 2 seconds of pushing the power button.... The next step i tried was checking the leads using a multi meter. I tested each and every individual pin on the PSU, all the voltages came out within the specified range. Then working with my father, we disconnected the case power button, to by pass the switch. figuring maybe there is a short in the wire that's not supplying enough power to start the boot process. We put a jumper on the PWR switch pins where the IO connectors go for the case buttons. To power on the PC all we had to do is flick the on switch for the PSU. That failed!!!! I am like WTF?!!!!

To recap i went through an RMA ASUS board. Two Power supplies of the same make and model. A switch by pass using a jumper for the I/O pins, and still. I cant get the board to stay on after power is supplied.... If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated..... Also i do have the latest firmware for the Asus X-99E W/S. So i am literally confused on what is possibly inhibiting this thing from being initialized.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Statically, it is damn near impossible to have two bad power supplies. Shipping the board out to the Asus Repair facility didn't resolve the issue either. I did verify all the specifications before building this, It's all compatible. The only thing i have not tried to replace as of yet is the CPU through an RMA process. I am uncertain if a failed CPU can cause a motherboard to shut off power wise. I did read that the 6850k has a voltage regulator integrated into that. So maybe it's possible. All i know is something is triggering a system shutdown at the start of the power good signal sending power to the board to initialize.

Also i forgot to mention in my previous post. My GFX card is the Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 TI 4GB. For the bio's i had all of the power and voltage settings on automatic, to allow the system to manage the power and voltage outputs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GreeneMan,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Something I can recommend is to try to assemble the system out of the chassis if it inside of it to avoid any grounding issues.

Also, you can try to clear CMOS, remove the battery on your motherboard for at least 20 minutes then put it back on and see how it goes.

The processor is compatible; make sure it is installed correctly. You may need to remove and reinstall the processor.

Make sure this motherboard has the BIOS version 0223 or later to make it work with this processor as it shows at:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-E/HelpDesk_CPU/ https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-E/HelpDesk_CPU/

Make sure the RAM you are using is DDR4 DDR4 2400/2133 voltage 1.2.

I hope this can help you.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I yanked out the Cmos batter as of now. The Ram however. They are Trident Z's factory clocked at 3200mhz. 14 ns timings. Just for the hell of it, i yanked all the dimms out and tried to boot it. I know the post will fail. But my goal is to get it to stay on with a Qcode LED error on the board stating that the ram is missing.

However trying to power it on with out any dimms in the socket. The system is still shuting down on its own 1 second after pushing the power button. So i did eliminate faulty ram out of the equation. I did flick the EZ XMP profile setting to the off position on top of pulling the Cmos batter just to see what will happen when i put the battery back in 10 minutes from now.

If it still fails to stay on. I am going to yank out the GPU and solid state drive. My goal here is just to have this run continuously doing nothing. Right now, it still exhibiting signs of a faulty PSU and motherboard. But i have the PSU replaced, and the motherboard sent in via an RMA # . So something is not adding up here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I forgot to mention in the last post for the ram spec. The board had it auto clocked to 1.35 volts for power management for the AI tuner. All my settings were set to auto for processor, hardware frequency and voltage management.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK. I yanked out the HDD, the GPU and i put one stick of ram back in. Regardless of what i am doing it's yielding the same result. a click is heard the Qcode lights up 00 and shuts off 1 second after the push of the power button. The only thing i have on the motherboard now is one Dimm and the CPU/Heatsink. I have been at this for over 5 weeks on and off between waiting on shipments for Hardware tests between Asus and Be quiet. The New PSU didn't resolve the issue. The RMA board i got back isn't resolving the issue...

So what i am concluding is that between the CPU, Ram, Motherboard and PSU. One of them has failed. Or it's in a state where it forces the system to shutdown immediately after power is initiated through the case switch. The first two components i checked were the PSU and Motherboard. Both i shipped out, both got returned and neither of them resolved the issue in the current state i am in. I yanked out all the DImms just to pray that it would power on and produce a beep code. It won't stay on long enough to actually fail a post. I put one Dimm back in and attempted to power on and post. Nothing, same issue, same state... I pulled the Cmos battery out. Reseated all the connectors. I literally rebuilt this thing twice so far in the trouble shooting process......With help from Asus.

So i now ask. Can i send my CPU in to have it checked out physically and electronically? Also i can call a friend to borrow a DDR4 2133 stick for testing, but in my current state its not going to help. the board will not stay on period.... No matter what i do.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I did check the voltages for the PSU on the internal connectors using a multi meter. the 3.3 rails came out to 3.4 the 5 volt rails came out to 5. 07 and the 12 volt rails came out to 12.12 volts DC for the yellow and red wires on the 24 Pin P1 and for the yellow and black wires on the 8 pin and 4/8 pin were all 12.12 volts and 0 for the ground respectively....

I literally cannot do anything more to test on my end. It's between the CPU, and in an unlikely instance because i shipped it to the repair facility. the motherboard... The ram i cannot come to a conclusion, i do not have any systems i can test it in that are working and or up to date...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Another tid bit i left out. I am using 3101 for the Bios firmware revision. I had the system flashed at the end of July to recognize the trident Z and Broadwell E cpu. My system worked for the 1st week of August. about 30-40 hours in gaming everything was fine. Shortly after in windows. the system shutdown and i had this power anomaly ever since.. Motherboard will click on and off every 3 seconds... It won't initialize.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi GreeneMan,

Thank you for all the information you have kindly shared with us, in this case you can try to get a replacement for the processor by submitting an online service request at the following link:

https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just replaced the CPU tonight with the new chip shipped in today.. My system is now back up and running. I want you guys to take note that a dead CPU can simulate the issue of a malfunctioning power supply and motherboard simultaneously. In the case of not being able to power on, and stay on to begin the post process....

I am still uncertain how my chip failed... If anyone can get a report from the engineers that processed my case to see what was actually wrong that would be most grateful.

I am still unsure if it was my power supply that burned the chip out, or the ASUS XMP setting for 3200mhz 1.35 volts... Allegedly its supposed to be stable, but until i look around more i am keeping the XMP setting to off...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm glad that your issue has been resolved and thank you very much for taken your time to share the results with us, that is very much appreciated.

3200MHz is out of the processor specifications; try to use the ram at 2400/2133

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I'm just following on this thread to ask you if your issue was resolved or if you still need further assistance.

Thanks,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Actually, i got the RMA# and address in my email. I shipped the CPU out on Tuesday. You guys should be getting it soon... Question though, when you guys test the chip, can i get a report on all the stages of testing and activity done? The reason being i want to take note of this for trouble shooting..... If the chip turns out bad, that means a failed CPU can simulate a power anomaly in terms of being able to power on and start the post process...

After 4 weeks of returning hardware to other manufactures. Mainly the Power supply and Motherboard. Not being able to turn on was a conclusion i drew that both were or could have been bad. After resetting CMOS and testing the system with non essential hardware needed for testing. That is the minimum needed to begin the POST.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi GreeneMan,

You can try asking the agent who took care your case when you request the replacements; they will be able to answer your question.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos