Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14555 Discussions

CPU Throttling on Windows 10

SSidd2
Beginner

Hello community members,

I own a four year old Sony Vaio VPCF235FA notebook with the Intel Core i5-2430M processor. It was inherited from my mum last year. After I upgraded the OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the CPU usage and clock limited itself to a maximum clock of 790 MHz, and 33% usage while running Prime95 on battery power. On AC power, it remains at a sufficiently stable clock to complete even the most intensive tasks. As far as I know, this never happened to the PC when I would borrow it from my mum when it was running Windows 7.

I have been to power options, and set it on performance. The CPU minimum & maximum states are set to 100% on both battery and AC power. SpeedFan revealed that the CPU core temperature never rises above 50 Celsius, so this rules out thermal throttling. As expected with Sony products, I am unable to access advanced BIOS functions to inspect CPU frequency scaling.

I have tried StopThrottle from TechPowerUp, but it had no effect.

Is there anyway where I can rectify this problem? My upgrade to Windows 10 has been a miserable experience, and I wish I could have downgraded to Win. 7 within the month I upgraded the OS.

I raised this question on Sony Community Forums, only to have a moderator scolded me for upgrading the PC to Windows 10, because Sony does not have the necessary drivers for their Vaio PCs after they sold off the brand.

Will downgrading back to Windows 7 help me in anyway? Can users with similar issues please share there experience in change in CPU performance after upgrading to Windows 10?

Many Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, theAviator:

According to your computer model, your graphics controller does not support Windows 10 and this could be the main issue. I would definitely recommend rolling back to Windows 7. Try restoring Windows, see here for the instructions for your model: http://www.sony-asia.com/support/tutorial/381906 VAIO Care - Recovery and Restore : Tutorial : Sony Asia Pacific.

For further reference visit http://ark.intel.com/products/53450/Intel-Core-i5-2430M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-2430M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz) Specifications, and http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products.

Keep me posted.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, theAviator:

I just wanted to check on this post, and see if were able to roll back to Windows 7.

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

I suggest buying W-7 system discs from Sony or the company it sold VAIO to, unless you already own them. Reinstall W-7 from disc. If W-7 complains about licensing, go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> System and look near the bottom for the activation option. Try to activate via the Internet, but if that fails, do it by phone (there will be a list of telephone numbers by country). Call that number. Depending upon many factors, you will either be switched to a machine which will give you a new activation code or you will be transferred to an Indian working for Microsoft who will give you an activation code.

After you reinstall W-7, pay close attention to Windows Updates. First, uncheck "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates." Then before you accept recommended / optional updates, click on it and on "More information" which will bring up an IE browser with the explanation of that update. If it says anything about upgrading your operating system, Windows 10, making the transition to a future Windows release, or telemetry, place the mouse over the update, right-click, and select "Hide update" which will make it go away.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

paramountain, thank you for your kind input.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos