Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14562 Discussions

Cannot boot with a full memory width

idata
Employee

I put a new system together last night and when I turned it on initially it wouldn't post. (No video, no beeps, nothing.) The Q-code on the motherboard display was 55 which meant that the RAM wasn't detected. I'm using two 8GB sticks of Crucial Ballistix DDR4. After trying various configurations I found that the system would boot fine if I had any two DIMMs in B1/B2 for a total of 16GB. If I put a DIMM in one of the A slots I get Q-code 41 or (more often) 55. Moving RAM that works fine in B1/B2 to A1/A2 and trying to boot fails. I haven't been able to find any configuration that lets me boot with RAM in the A1/A2 slots.

After this frustrating experience (including an email exchange with ASUS support), I RMA'd the motherboard and bought a new pair of Crucial DDR4 (Ballistix Tactical). When I got the replacement motherboard, I got the same error.

So, I have tried two motherboards and two sets of DDR4. Can this problem be CPU-related (I have searched the Internet and found no answer, just several people reporting the same error).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SveinJo,

I will be more than glad to assist you with your matter.

At this moment in order to provide you more information that might help you with your boot problem, I will need you to please reply with the model of your board and the model of your current processor.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SveinJo,

I would like to confirm with you if it is possible that you can provide me the model of your board and the model of your current processor.

Once that I can be able to confirm these details, I will be more than glad to provide you further assistance.

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,

Angie

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SveinJo,

I will appreciate if you will be able to provide me the model of your board and the model of your current processor.

Once that I can be able to confirm these details, I will be more than glad to provide you further assistance.

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Angie

0 Kudos