Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14560 Discussions

How can I clearly know if I have a bad CPU?

Rapier
Beginner

Hello community, hope to get some answers here for my problem.

I bought components for a new PC in November 2023 and since then I had only issues. The config is as follows:

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi

CPU: Intel I9 14900KF

RAM: 32GB (2x16GB kit) Kingston Fury Renegade 6400MHz XMP (4800 MHz base)

Drive: Samsung SSD 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 1TB

Cooling: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO cooler.

Video: Asus TUF RTX 4070ti Gaming OC

Power: Corsair Hxi Series HX1000i, 80 PLUS Platinum, 1000W

Case: AeroCool P7-C1 Tempered glass

I had constant game crashes with the system untill I found about the SVID setting in BIOS and put it on "Intel Fail Safe". All the other OC settings were explicitly disabled (Asus Multicore Enhancement and Intel Adaptive Boost Technology). After that, system was apparently working fine till last week when I got errors from the OneDrive saying my account has issues and to login again. Also Windows showed like I was using a "local" account, despite the fact I was using my Microsoft account.

Finally I decided to re-format the SSD and reinstall Windows...I made 3 different install kits from the Microsoft website on three different USB sticks. All install attempts were ending in errors/crashes (BSOD) just from the start, right after booting from the USB mostly saying that instalation media is not available. After several searches, after trying the USB kits I had on another pc and working fine, after also changing the RAM (bought a G.SKILL DDR5 6400MHz kit to replace the Kingston) but having same results, I tried with a last USB kit I had, an original retail Windows 10 PRO USB stick.

This version installed without any issues but the problem is that it is so old that nothing works or installs on this windows, asking for a newer build. The existing build is 1803 (from 2018 I guess) and I tried to upgrade it through Windows Update...all the update tries were failing with errors, nothing was installed. I tried then by downloading the Microsoft Media Creation Toolkit to update and also make another Windows 10 newer build. Nothing helped, all my tries were ending in errors.

I finaly decided to send the CPU back to the seller (there is no local Intel representative I think) and opened a service request. Now the CPU is at service and I wait for a resolution but I would like to ask for advice. Don't know how they test it but what do I do if they send it back saying everything is ok (maybe they test it on another board or don't know)?

These kind of errors and BSOD are usualy due to CPU or RAM not motherboard and I already replaced the RAM.

I am open to suggestions...I have paid alot for all the parts, to end up staring at an open case with no CPU inside

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Rapier, 

Thank you for posting in our Intel communities.

We understand that you wanted to know if you have a bad processor. 

In light of that, let's first discuss how we can determine if you have a good processor. You have a good processor if it operates without causing any problems for your system and aligns its performance with its specifications.

On the other hand, we can determine whether your processor is bad if you have tried all the necessary troubleshooting steps related to the issue that you have and the issue still persists.

Since the issue that we have is BSOD, you may refer to this article for information on troubleshooting Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) on Intel processors.

And notice that trying a different CPU is the final step in that article's troubleshooting method, since if you have tried another processor on your system and that other processor works, it only means that the previous processor is in fact faulty.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Rapier, 

We are checking in with you to see if you have any additional queries. Please know that we would be happy to assist you if you have any. 

Thank you, and have a great day! 

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Rapier, 

We are checking in with you, as we have not heard any response from you. 

Thank you, and have a great day! 

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Rapier, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this enquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos