Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14633 Discussions

Intel 12900k stress test

sAz-I
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

a few weeks ago I have built my new desktop pc, which is equipped with the intel 12900k processor. 

After I have finished building the pc I decided to run a stress test on all components to check that everything is fine and to make sure there are no problems.

Using Intel-xtu tool, I let stress run for 10 minutes. I observed that the core temps jump immediately to 100 (temperatures in Celcius and monitored with HWMonitor, core temp and msi center)  and remain in the range of 80-100 for the whole test. I also saw that there are two different temperature parameters, one is the socket temperature (measured around 60), and the other is the cpu core temperature (measured 77-99 as mentioned before). On top of that, during the whole test the cpu frequency remained at roughly 4.8GHz and the core voltage at 1.3V, even at high temperatures. At the end, according to the program, the test is passed. When running in normal mode (browsing, downloading, using small programs, etc.) the cpu temperatures are at around 36, both socket and core temperatures.

What is the difference between the socket temperature and core temperature?

Shouldn't the core voltage and the cpu frequency be reduced at such high temperatures? 

How is the cpu core temperature measured and how accurate are these measurements?

Shouldn't the pc shut off when the cpu reaches 100 celsius?

The pc has 3 case fans and a cpu cooler (be quite! dark rock pro 4). I have conducted a stress test using cinebench which led to the same results.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello sAz-I, I just received an update on this matter.

The socket temperature will be the temperature between the CPU IHS and the fan and the core temperature will be the inside the die and it can vary from core to core,

Shouldn't the core voltage and the cpu frequency be reduced at such high temperatures? 

If the processor does not detect a possible damage, meaning that it can support it, then it will be keep it whenever is needed, for example, it is a normal behavior when doing a stress test.

How is the cpu core temperature measured and how accurate are these measurements?

The CPU comes with built-in thermal sensors, latest versions of Intel's processors have digital temperature sensors embedded within each core, this temperature is measured and read by the software, in this case, Intel® XTU and provides results.

We cannot warranty is 100% accurate, this depends on different factors like temperature from other PC components, temperature on location and assuming all components including the sensor is working fine we cannot provide an exact percentage of accuracy with measurements, explain user is very accurate but depends on factors mentioned before this can show small temperature differences

Similar answer to the second question; however, the maximum supported by this processor is 100C, so it is normal that it doesn't shut off immediately, higher that 100C, yes it could shut off.

It is important to mention that we don't validate 3rd party updates as we don't know how they measure the processor features, so we will only rely on Intel® software results. If you are not noticing shutdowns, BSODs, lags, freezes, or similar errors, then that's a sign of the CPU working as expected:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

sAz-I, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario and your inquiries, in order for us to provide the most accurate response, we will do further research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello sAz-I, I just received an update on this matter.

The socket temperature will be the temperature between the CPU IHS and the fan and the core temperature will be the inside the die and it can vary from core to core,

If the processor does not detect a possible damage, meaning that it can support it, then it will be keep it whenever is needed, for example, it is a normal behavior when doing a stress test.

The CPU comes with built-in thermal sensors, latest versions of Intel's processors have digital temperature sensors embedded within each core, this temperature is measured and read by the software, in this case, Intel® XTU and provides results.

We cannot warranty is 100% accurate, this depends on different factors like temperature from other PC components, temperature on location and assuming all components including the sensor is working fine we cannot provide an exact percentage of accuracy with measurements, explain user is very accurate but depends on factors mentioned before this can show small temperature differences

Similar answer to the second question; however, the maximum supported by this processor is 100C, so it is normal that it doesn't shut off immediately, higher that 100C, yes it could shut off.

It is important to mention that we don't validate 3rd party updates as we don't know how they measure the processor features, so we will only rely on Intel® software results. If you are not noticing shutdowns, BSODs, lags, freezes, or similar errors, then that's a sign of the CPU working as expected:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello sAz-I, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
sAz-I
Beginner

Hi Alberto_R_Intel, 

Yes, the information helped me a lot and I don't have any further questions in this regard.

Regards

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi sAz-I, Thank you very much for your response.

Perfect, we are glad to hear the information provided was useful for you.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos