Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14650 Discussions

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool use in commercial software

pires
Beginner

Hi,

I'm having trouble to understand the Intel Software License Agreement regarding the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html).

The situation is the following: I am a developer that wants to use the software within the "IPDT_4.1.9.41_src.zip" package in my commercial solution.

The problem is: When downloading the "IPDT_4.1.9.41_src.zip" package, the LIMITED DISTRIBUTION LICENSE AGREEMENT tells us that all the software under open-source licenses (section 2.5) does not comply with the license terms specified, but follows the terms of its open-source license. Meaning that, if the open-source license is permissive enough, the software under it can be used by the developer in their solution.
But, when downloading the package there is a file called "third-party-programs.txt" that shows the license terms for the third party software included in the package, and there is a bunch of licenses. Finally, when opening the folder of each tool (avx, fma3, etc.), there is another file called "LICENSE" showing the terms of the "BSD-3-Clause" license.

My conclusion was: if each folder of the package has a file called "LICENSE" specifying the BSD-3-Clause terms, that means all software within the package is under the BSD-3-Clause, and so, I can use theses softwares in my commercial solution. But, considering the amount of files specifying different license terms I'm not sure enough if I'm breaking any legal agreement doing so.

I am sending this issue report seeking a direct response of whether I can or cannot use the software within the package "IPDT_4.1.9.41_src.zip" in my commercial solution.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pires, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. I will coordinate this inquiry with my team so we can check this further for you. Before I do so, would you please specify the software or commercial solution that you are developing? Please also share it's purpose. If you prefer to continue by email, please let me know as well. Thank you! 

Ramyer M. 
Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
pires
Beginner

Hi Ramyer,

Thanks for the answer. I'd prefer to discuss this via e-mail if possible.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello pires, 

Thank you for replying to post. I will gladly accommodate your preference. Please check your email for more details. Thank you.

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos