Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14551 Discussions

Intel i7-14700 high Watts

Pawel7
Beginner

Hi!

i have a MSI Tomahawk Z790 motherbard and my i7-14700 is getting very fast to 100°C, and i noticed on CPUID HWMonitor total package wats was 253W! (i thought max tdp is 220W)

I tested processor with Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and everything is ok., but temperatures are very high.

Idle temp. are about 40-45°C.

is this ok?

All settings in bios are default

Paweł

0 Kudos
26 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Pawel7, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. It is indeed concerning that the temperature reaches a 100 degree Celsius at a fast paced. Would you please share with us your SSU logs so we can be more familiar with your system specifications? You may download it at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html. Also, have you made any changes before this issue occurred? When it reaches 100 C, does your system reboot or any error message pop up as well? Additionally, what software are you using to monitor the temperature? I will be waiting for your response. 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for answering.

I attached the .txt file with system specification. Computer is brand new, 2 weeks.

No error messages, no restarting. Just temperatures and high Watts (today HW monitor showed 293W total package in a pick).

I use CPUID HWMonitor and a I check thermal throttling with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

Please check this link from MSI (i have MSI Tomahawk Z790 DDR 5 motherboard):

https://www.msi.com/blog/lowering-cpu-voltage-and-temperature-without-compromising-performance-disabling-cep-on-intel-14th-gen-non-k-CPUs

And in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility there are options about max. Watts in processor boost moments - thre are ses as unlimited - maybe this is a problem?

Paweł

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

if you did not set a TDP limit, the 14700k will draw at least 250W, and without OC it can appreanly do 340W if you have some extreme cooling solution. 

If it spikes to 100°C while drawing 250W then i would say that is 'normal'. 

Except idle 40~45°C is suspicious, unless room temperature is close to 30°C, or the air hitting the heatsink/radiator is at 30°C.

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner

Yes, but i have 17-14700 (NON-k) CPU

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

indeed no 'K', and the specs resemble my 13700k, except yours has more cores.
I will stay by what i said, it can draw 300 maybe 340W.
You would just have to enable one setting and change calibration loadline.

Mine says according to specs 253W.....and max so far was 310W, if i was to use DDR5 5600MT/s and a better motherboard, i might have get more than that.

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner

But I don't want the temperature to reach 100°C frequently, which is the case when the CPU is just starting. It reaches 100°C very quickly. And it shouldn't be like that. I think I'll work with the seller to have them check the CPU.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

@Pawel7 wrote:

But I don't want the temperature to reach 100°C frequently, which is the case when the CPU is just starting. 

Waiiit! That was a good hint!

What if, your AIO does not start with the PC but waits for the software to launch?
And/or the pump is not running when you push the ON button on your PC?
That would explain why it hits 100C at the start.

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner

i think that boxed cooler is absolutely insufficient.

if i changed in BIOS cooling to "BOXED" (reduced Watt) CPU had 74°C.

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner

I forgot to mention, when i changed in BIOS cooling to "BOXED", then the efficiency drops by half.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

wait, so do you have an AIO? or stock air cooler? 

btw, efficiency should be highest near 125Watts, that is the reason Intel says it's TDP is 125W......i guess. And i get best results exactly close to 125W in terms of power/performance ratio. Worst results i get at 250W and above.

And if you want to force the CPU to use least power possible, then go to Windows Power Options, choose the profile "Power Saver" then change the advanced settings in regards to CPU max usage to any number but less than 100%, so for example 99% will do as good.

this will result in all cores not go faster than 2,5GHz and max TDP of some 50Watts. I use that profile when i swap the water in the water cooling loop, bcoz the CPU won't randomly draw 100W, in fact, it does bot want to draw more than 10W unless i run some benchmark or stress test.

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner

i have stock air cooler

i think i will now buy tower air cooler (maybe you have something to recommend) and if this will work, set of CPU and cooler is crap and i will have to give it back and buy i7-14700K

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

@Pawel7 wrote:

i have stock air cooler

.....that explains a lot. I would bet the stock air coolers from Intel are made for peak 100W or so. Which means, for few seconds that would be ok, but the 14700 does more than twice.

I can't reccomend any good air cooling, as your PC case, height of the RAM and maybe some other things will be your criteria to choose the right heatsink for your CPU.
Also, your motherboard, MSI Tomahawk Z790, seems to have quite thick VRM Mosfet heatsink, that will also reduce your options.

You need to measure how much space you got there. IF you have some expencive PC tower, maybe the manufacturer listed compatible air cooling solutions?
Maybe the motherboard has this kind of cpmpatibility list? but then idk about RAM....

Only suggestion i can make is to search for Noctua, their products seem to work quite well, and mostly designed to not interfere with height of the VRM Mosfet heatsink as well as with heatsinks on the RAM

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Pawel7, 

I am glad to see you active with KrissyG in this community thread. Keep it up! For now, I will be coordinating this information with our team for further checking and update this thread as soon as possible once a solution is available. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner

Hello,

It seems to me that the problem is the fan attached to the processor - it is probably completely insufficient, therefore the product is defective. If it is sold in a kit, it should not allow the processor temperature to reach 100°C very often (with standard BIOS settings).

And as I wrote earlier, I will probably buy a better cooler and if it is OK, I will return the set and buy an i14-700k.

I won't see the point in using the non-k version.

Paweł

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Pawel7, 

I can see that you are considering purchasing a new cooling system due to the suspicion of overheating on the stock cooler. While this is a valid approach, you may also try troubleshooting your system first before proceeding with the purchase. For further guidance, you may find the following articles helpful:

If the issue still persists after doing so, you may let us know so we can further isolate the issue between the cooler and the cpu. I will be waiting for your reply.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner

Yes, i'm thinking about buying a better cooling system.

Is it possible to undervolting this processor (i7-14700) on the MSI Tomahawk Z790 DDR5 board?

Maybe this can help.

Paweł

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Pawel7, 

I want to let you know that we do not provide undervolting controls/software/tools for locked non-K processors. Altering clock frequency or voltage may void any product warranties and reduce stability, security, performance, and life of the processor and other components. If options in BIOS are not available, contact your OEM or motherboard vendor. You may also visit this link for more details: Is It Possible to Undervolt a Locked Intel® Core™ Non-K Processor?

By the way , were you able to try the troubleshooting steps in the article I have sent in my previous post? If you have and the issue still persists, we can help you with the process of replacing the cpu fan. Let us know if the issue still exists after trying out the steps. I will be waiting for your reply

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Pawel7,

How are you doing? I am just checking in if the troubleshooting steps we recommended worked for you. Feel free to let us know if your encounter any issues so we can help you with the replacement of the fan. I will be waiting for your reply.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Pawel7
Beginner

Hi,

A few days ago I bought a Deep Cool AK620 cooler, and today or tomorrow I will check whether it will cool properly, of course I will let you know.

Unfortunately, I don't have time for anything this week.

Pawel

0 Kudos