Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14561 Discussions

Need help please with OS software that can be supported by the following processors.

DKenn6
Novice

Thanks folks in advance and I hope that I have posted this in the right section, I am new to the forum.

This is some older stuff I am working on and trying to upgrade.

I have an Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo Processor E6750 (4MB Cache, 2.66 GHZ, 1333 MHZ FSB) Will these processors support windows 7 home premium 64 bit operating system?. I think that it will but am not totally sure. If the processor will support the windows 64 bit software, will I have to update the BIOS?

I did some research and found specs on the above processor and also the processors listed below, the specification sheets shows all the processors to have the 64bit instruction set, but I am a little confused as to what that means exactly. Does instruction set and data width mean the same thing?

Also, I have a couple of other processors that are:

(1) Intel Pentium Dual Core LGA775 E5300 SLGTL (2.60GHz 2MB 800MHz FSB)

-AND-

(2) Intel Pentium Dual Core LGA775 E5800 SLGTG (3.2 GHz 2MB 800MHZ FSB)

Will either number 1 or number 2 or both of these processors support the windows 7 home premium operating system?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.. I am new on this stuff and trying to learn.

Very much appreciate your efforts.

Best regards. Don

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi 1TheDon1,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your system but let me help you.

The processor Model E6750 supports 64 bit operating systems (instruction Set) so you should not encounter a problem when installing the operating system.

All the processors you mentioned in the post are cable of handling win 7 64 bit but It is important for you to check with the board manufacture the available divers and compatibility with the operating systems in the market.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi 1TheDon1,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your system but let me help you.

The processor Model E6750 supports 64 bit operating systems (instruction Set) so you should not encounter a problem when installing the operating system.

All the processors you mentioned in the post are cable of handling win 7 64 bit but It is important for you to check with the board manufacture the available divers and compatibility with the operating systems in the market.

0 Kudos
DKenn6
Novice

Kevin_Intel,

Thanks for the info sir, this will get me headed in the right direction indeed.

I am certain that the mobo will accommodate the 64 bit OS and the mobo is an Asus P5G41-M LE.

I have used a lot of the Intel mobos as well and certainly like them very much too, its just that I got a very good

deal on this particular asus mobo and wanted to build a system using it.

Also Kevin_Intel, would you mind sir to explain to me exactly how I will be able to know that processors can

support a 64 bit operating system? Do I look at the processor specs and check the instruction set to see the 64 bit instruction set or the data width, or what please sir?

Thanks again for your help with the info, I absolutely appreciate it very much.

Very best regards to you.

Don

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi 1TheDon1,

If you want to know if a processor is 64 bit capable you just need to check the instruction set at the following page: http://www.ark.Intel.com/ www.ark.Intel.com .

Most likely all processors nowadays support the 64 bit instruction set (64 bit Operating Systems). The data width in the actual processor models is not anymore the FSB, it is known as Intel® Smart Cache.

0 Kudos
DKenn6
Novice

I understand now Kevin and I do appreciate that and just to let you know sir..... I did go ahead with the build and used the E6750 Intel processor (Core 2 Duo 2.60 Ghz 1333 MHz fsb with a 4 Mb L2 cache) on the Asus P5G41M-LE motherboard, installed the windows 7 home premium 64 bit OS then installed the drivers and it turned out GREAT!

The computer runs very quickly and very smooth and I have only installed 3 gb of ram so far.

So, everything is looking great and again, I really do appreciate your help sir, you really helped me out a lot. Now I can see lots of possibilities using older motherboards that were originally designed with only the 32 bit operating systems mainly in mind.. I will of course use only the motherboards that support at least 1066 MHz fsb though and preferably 1333MHz.

I am really quite pleasantly surprised at how well this older Asus mobo is performing with the 64 bit OS, it is really doing very nicely.

Well again, thank you very much for your help and very best regards to you.

0 Kudos