Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14552 Discussions

Which CPU Better - i7860s or i72600s

idata
Employee

Good Day!

I want to build a gaming compu. My CPU preferences are i7860s and i72600s. I want to know which CPU would be better considering following:

- I won't do overclocking.

- Exclusive gaming card Radeon 1 GB / Directx 11 would be procured.

- Initially OS would be XP but later I may switch to Win 7 64 Bit to avail Directx 11 functionality.

- System would be used in normal conditions w/o AC.

I have an opinion that i72600s has 1 core dedicated for graphic and it doesn't support Directx 11. If I install a dedicated 1 GB graphic card supporting Directx 11 then:

1. Will the CPU use all of its core for processing (games, applications) rather than keeping the 1 core (for graphics) idle?

2. With the dedicated card supporting Directx 11, will I be still constraint to Directx 10 as the CPU supports only up to this extent?

Any advise for a better CPU would be highly appreciated in the range of $300.

Thanks in advance to all for taking time and giving their valuable opinions.

Regards.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Please check the following link to compare the features of both processors:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52215,41318 http://ark.intel.com/compare/52215,41318

According to the above link the i7-2600S has a little better performance compared to the i7-860S

The i7-2600S has an embedded graphics controller, however this does not mean that one core will be designed for graphics processing only, it is actually a separate feature of the processor.

idata
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the provided information. Now that it is clear i72600s would apply all of its core on applications and game, I am planning to club it with ASUS-P8P67 PRO motherboard. The graphic card will be Sapphire HD 6850 GDDR5 1GB. Now the next and important question is about Directx 11.0 support? CPU supports only upto Directx 10.1 and the graphic card support Directx 11.0, will I be able to run games supporting Directx 11.0 (Win 7 64 bit OS)?

Reiterating, intially I intend to use WIN XP and hopefully neither the CPU nor the motherboard will offer any issue. I have tried retrieving the information from online resources for a confirmation but no luck. I don't want to repent after spending 50-60K over limitation of any game.

Once again, I appreciate time taken and useful information provided.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

As long as the PCI Express video card that you will install supports Directx 11 it will work with no issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you.

If i72600s can have all the cores utilized to maximum extend on games/applications then I think it's better choice. Though I will lose IDE option on motherboard but eventually it will be compensated with other features. I envisage to have the system in a month or two, depending on availability of parts (:

Regards

=============================================

Final Config

Cooler Master Elite 334 Cabinet / Corsair 800W PSU / Intel i72600s / ASUS P8P67 PRO / 3 GB DDR3 / SAPPHIRE HD 6850 GDDR5 1GB Graphic Card / Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB HDD 64MB Cache 7200 RPM / SAMSUNG B22 / DVD-RW / Win XP SP2 (Primary), Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (Secondary).

0 Kudos