Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14554 Discussions

can a xeon processor cause 2 memory slots to not be recognized

thill4
Beginner

I have a Xeon E5 2620V3 and an asrock server mb. The first board I had worked for a year and then the c1 and c2 slots gave errors in the bios on boot up and caused the system to stall. Removing the memory from these slots fixed the problem. We rma'ed the board and got a new one. This one does not recognize anything in c1 or c2. Different memory has been used in each slot and neither one is recognized. I have another RMA coming but they are saying it is probably the processor. I have examined the processor and there are no obvious bent pins or damage. Can the processor be at fault.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Please use a https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit- Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (64-bit) to check CPU.

0 Kudos
thill4
Beginner

Thank you I have downloaded the tool and will try it as soon as I can. Should it show it to be bad does this tool also show the FPO number so that I can initiate an rma or do I have to physically remove heat sink and view processor for this info.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thilley2,

The Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2620 v3 recognizes memories of DDR4 1600/1866/2133MHz at 1.25v. If you have memories with higher speed, processor can recognize them but it will support fewer modules at the same time.

The memory controller is inside the processor, it could fail over the time. Please run our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and let us know the results.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos