Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14552 Discussions

gaming laptop random performance loss

GIULIOCHESALTA
Beginner

hello intel community,

im writing this post due to an issue im recently having with my 3 years old gaming laptop, with an i5-10500H, 16 GBs of RAM, and a GTX 1650 Max-Q.

as i mentioned earlier, ive had this laptop for almost 3 years, and its always been performing perfectly fine, but since around 5 months ago its perfomance is been slowly decreasing.

1) it all started with ram issues, where i wasnt able to open a game and another app, it would just crash or/and give a blue screen (i was able to have 3 apps open when i was gaming, and sometimes even streaming at the same time, without any issues before my laptop started having problems)

2) then i started losing some fps, not really that much, maybe around 10%. i suspected it was due to overheating, so i ran a stress test, and i saw that the GPU was at around 75°-80° which is fine for that specific GPU, but the i5 was stuck at 96°-100°. i was very scared when i saw that one temp, so i googled up what is a bad temp for my CPU, and i saw that 100° was still considered fine if it was just the peak of the temp, and not the average. so i dont really know if the CPU is the problem

3) the last problem, experienced yesterday, was the GPU being just wrong. first issue it had was that when i started recording with nvidia shadowplay, the recording would just be a glitchy green and white screen and sometimes and even the screen would glitch sometimes (i managed to screenshot that, check the attached image). then the second issue was a HUGE cut on performance. before everything started to have problems, i was able to run Roblox, for example, at 240 FPS on high graphics without any stuttering, and also with other apps running (and also streaming sometimes), but now its barely making 35 fps in the same game, low graphics, and no apps or streaming.

the most concerning thing is that i didnt do any extreme overclocking or anything that could cause these problems, they just randomly popped out of nowhere

if anyone has any idea of whats happening and how to solve it, please tell me 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JayB_Intel

Hi GIULIOCHESALTA,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support

To help us with the situation, kindly send us the system scan via Intel SSU. This way we can check the driver versions of your device. You may refer to our article below for the guide:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Also, have tried checking for any possible Windows and BIOS updates? I would like to add to check for any possible corrupted files as well.

https://www.tomsguide.com/computing/windows-operating-systems/how-to-repair-a-windows-11-using-dism-command-tool

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/how-to-use-dism-to-repair-local-image-on-windows-11

Also, please consider using SFC or System File Checker for the integrity of the files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

Let us know the results as we will take it from there.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel

Hi GIULIOCHESALTA,

Were you able to check the previous post? Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
GIULIOCHESALTA
Beginner

i just did the drivers scan, check the attached document for results, and about the other things you suggested i already did them in the past but nothing changed. thanks for the help

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello GIULIOCHESALTA,

We have checked your SSU, and you have two graphics cards on your system.

Let's first do these two things:

1. Please try to disable the Intel graphics card first in the BIOS, then check if the issue still persists. 

2. This time, try to enable the Intel graphics card and disable NVIDIA, and check if the issue still persists.

Then, let me know the results; this is to isolate if this is a graphics issue.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello GIULIOCHESALTA,

We are checking in to see if you have already performed the troubleshooting steps that we have provided or if you have any additional queries. Please know that we would be happy to assist you if you have any. 

Thank you, and have a great day! 

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello GIULIOCHESALTA,

We are checking in with you, as we have not heard any response from you.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
GIULIOCHESALTA
Beginner

the problem is that i cant disable the intel gpu, i already tried, but the external monitor and laptop screen would just have no post because my laptop doesnt have a mux switch

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello GIULIOCHESALTA, 

Thank you so much for the response.

Some desktop computers automatically disable integrated graphics when they detect the presence of a discrete graphics card. However, you may be able to enable integrated graphics again by accessing the system BIOS and enabling the setting for integrated graphics. The method of accessing this setting in the BIOS is different for every motherboard manufacturer, so we recommend contacting the manufacturer of your motherboard for more information.

For more information, please check out this article: 

How to Enable Intel® Integrated Graphics on Desktop Computers with a Discrete Graphics Card

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos