Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14552 Discussions

i7 4790k processor overheats in idle to 88c

GAtki1
Beginner

Right out of the box, once installed with the stock heat sync installed correctly, in the bios it reaches 88c with in seconds of booting. I can't go any further than the bios. What's going on here?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

My guess would be that you did not properly install the heatsink. Below are the instructions for installing an Intel CPU and heatsink. I'm sure someone has a YouTube video. The two things I would concentrate on would be the position of the four pins and the thermal paste. Do NOT run the PC until you debug it.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000006707.html?wapkw=install+cpu+heatsink How to Install a LGA775 Processor in the LGA775 Socket for Processors

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello mailto:equinox828@att.net equinox828@att.net:

Thank you for contacting the Intel® Communities.

Since this is out of the box, yes probably the guess from paramountain would be correct, please provide us with your outcome after checking the installation of your heatsink.

If the thermal paste was affected by the installation, the best thing to do would be to remove an apply new high quality thermal paste on top of your processor.

Too much is no good for thermal paste so make sure you are adding the proper amount (enough to cover the surface touching the heatsink only).

Regards,

Esteban C

GAtki1
Beginner

Sorry for my slowness in responding to your suggestions. I work in the evenings and sleep during the day. I used some thermal paste and reseated correctly and locked the pins of the heat sync. The system booted correctly. I checked the bios for the temperature of the CPU and it was consistently at 34c. Thank you for your help. I will be testing with a load using Prime95 to monitor the heat of the CPU.

I booted into Windows 7 ok but when I was shutting down the PC, I got a brief blue screen. I rebooted into windows and shut it down again with no problem. What could have caused the blue screen to happen. It was too brief for me to read it but will watch out for it if it reoccurs.

0 Kudos
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

Remember that Windows has logs of system problems. You will need to read through the list and look for events near the time of the blue screen: Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

That would be very helpful to check what is happening in your system.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
GAtki1
Beginner

There was no information in the event viewer. Now my system will not even enter the bios much less Windows. I have been granted an RMA # . The temperature did lower consistently to 34c. I guess the chip was damaged when over heated.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

Yes probably the CPU was affected by the temperatures reached, more if this was for a long time.

Do not hesitate to contact us back if you encounter with any additional or new inquiries.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
GAtki1
Beginner
0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, mailto:equinox828@att.net equinox828@att.net:

Sure, no problem.

Thank you for contacting the Intel® Communities.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos