Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14560 Discussions

i7 920 D0 memory controller problem??

idata
Employee

So recently I have been unable to run 3 sticks of memory in tri channel under any settings whatsoever. Underclocked, stock clock, undervoltage or at 1.65v nothing works at all. It boots fine, but under any stress at all in windows 7(such as even just launching IE or word) it crashes with all kinds of memory related bluescreens. I have tested the memory with memtest and it comes up clean and 2 sticks of memory runs just fine. I do not have extra RAM to test with, but I am thinking that possibly the memory controller is misbehaving?? It seems like it may have problems with more than 4 gigs of RAM possibly or just cant handle the voltage from 3 sticks, cant figure it out.

using ocz gold ddr3 1600

evga x58 sli board

I have gone to evga support forums as well and they keep telling me its my memory, but I'm not so sure.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

I'd just RMA the ram to OCZ and see how you go from there. Some of the early eplida chips had problems like that.

You could try adjusting the OPI voltage, read up on what are appropriate settings (I don't want to make any recomendation and you kill anything)

I have mine set on 1.35V

idata
Employee

I was planning to RMA, however I need my computer and have nothing to use in place of it so I need to do their ARMA...anyways

I have my qpi at 1.1V, which is default. Everything I read says default is fine for everything except DIMM volatage and CPU VTT, which needs to stay at DIMM voltage - .04V. A few people have said to put qpi voltage at 1.4v, which I suppose I should try again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ask in house Intel experts directly during the next Intel Live Chat session. www.intellivechat.com

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Get memory that works below 1.6v.

The recommended memory is 1.5v at 1333MHz, remember that the ci7-920 uses the memory at 1066MHz so 1333Mhz should be sufficient.

PV.

0 Kudos