Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14552 Discussions

i9-14900k dx12 games crashing

Rambo
Novice

I have a new asus rog z790-e gaming i motherboard, 64gb 7200mhz ram, with i9-14900k processor. Everything runs great except dx12 games. In particular, I am running Fortnite. There are tons of people have this same issue with 13900k processors as well as 14900k processors. Since the 13900k issue started happening, many people have shared on Reddit and a few have found a work around by decreasing the pcore to 52x, which sucks to have to do, but it seems to work for some (not all). Some have RMA'd and think it's resolved, but it still comes back sometimes. How can I get help to solve this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rambo
Novice
I found a solution that has resolved the problem for me!!!!!! I did 2 things and I'm not sure which one resolved it, but I'm pretty sure which one it was. So I had Corsair vengeance RGB 7200 mhz x 4x16 (64GB) ram but it was running at 6000 i believe. So I replaced that ram withCORSAIR - VENGEANCE 32GB (2x16GB) 5600 MHz DDR5 CL40 Intel XMP Desktop Memory - Black from Best buy and do far zero crashes since Dec 17. I did also downgrade by GPU driver to add far back as possible and have not received to the latest. I am pretty confident it is not the gpu driver but I'm scared to change anything lol. I hope this helps someone. Please comment if it does so I know what helped, real or driver. Thank you. Merry Christmas!

View solution in original post

48 Replies
mvejerslev
Beginner

Guys! We seem to have similar ghosts in the machine with more or less the same hardware... Lets establish that baseline, especially on the cooling! I admit I am on a temporary air cooler (Be Quiet Shadow Rock 3), and I am willing to take a clock hit not to make the thing throttle to hell on default settings (which are insane btw on an ASUS motherboard), but I feel this is about more than that - prove it by telling me you've got better cooling than me.

Anyway, what are your temps in cinebench? Any throttling/crashes in XTU on an AVX2 stress test?

Ive undervolted and underclocked and have a reasonable XTU profile for air cooling on the 14900kf, never exceeding 98c, and Im willing to share. Still getting tons of instability on this brand new most expensive system. It is only performing like... 33k in cinebench 2023... but temps under control. I feel it should be more, clocking x53-x54 all core, not feeling greedy at all at this point as long as it shows some signs of stability.

For this system I have to have seperate XTU profiles for every game... This is not right. Noone tinkers like this. 

Never had this much BSOD and been tinkering so much with a new system. Something is very wrong. Its not just my air cooler, the thing should be able to throttle without BSOD.

i9-14900kf, TUF 4900kf, ASUS z790-plus wifi, Be Quiet Shadow Rock 3, -0.11v all core x54 or lower (via TVB - never exceeding 98c)

0 Kudos
StevenW78
Novice
If cooling is the issue, yes, I have a Coolermastrr MP240 PL, only two fans, but installed properly.

I suspect yes, it may well ultimately be a cooling issue, but OTOH I don’t need a 747 Rolls Royce turbojet engine next to my head when playing a game, nor do I want to do in what’s left of my back to replace the AIO, so I’ll just live with it until I’ve recovered enough to pull the AIO off, clean the CPU of thermal paste, put in and wire up an NZXT 360 three fan AIO solution, and hopefully call it a day at that point.

Meanwhile, I’m ironically running ASUS’ AI Overclocking for now for everything that doesn’t crash, and am just throttling back the CPU to 5400MHz with XTU when I feel like playing a game.

It’s kind of hilarious, reminds me of one of my favorite Three Stooges episodes when I was a kid, but oh well!

Good luck to the rest of you! Surprised the 14900K is so hot, but then again surprised a CPU could ever be pushed to 6GHz, so there’s that.

Hopefully silicon carbide or some other new exotic wafer material will make all our lives simpler in a few years. Meanwhile, it’s an interesting exercise.
0 Kudos
Lucifer37666
Beginner

Bro, I have this...

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/cpu-coolers/cw-9060060-ww/icue-h150i-rgb-elite-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060060-ww

and is a good cooling system.

Still fails the processor.... now it is bad. The game starts and crushes straight ... close... not the main screen is not loading.

fsake

0 Kudos
StevenW78
Novice

The CPU is still okay, it’s just the issue causing the problem. So this in my mind is sufficient to rule out “insufficient cooling” as an explanation; yours should be more than enough cooling.

I guess for now the only hack is to use XTU (the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility) to downclock the CPU to 54 (5400MHz) to play a game.

So, technically speaking, the CPU will not go to Turboboost Max under load; the marketing appears to be incorrect on that.

Until we hear evidence otherwise.

0 Kudos
marsianeca
Novice

Hey guys, 

I'm glad i'm not alone

I have build my pc about 4months ago and from day one i'm struggling playing games they crash/ can't start etc.

I have 14900k/3080 Gigabyte Aorus/G.skill trident Z5 64gb (2x32) 6000Mhz RAM/NZXT Kraken Elite 360 RGB/NZXT C1200 Gold Power supply/ Asus rog strix Z790-f Gaming WIFI 

I went to the shop where i bought the PC (we changed the CPU)  they tested my CPU they say  it was crashing so they  replace my CPU. After that i was happy went home everything was the same games crashes.

Went 1month after that to the shop again they tested every single component new Windows still the same stuff... problem continued and i was like bro it has to be the Motherboard (they told me that aswell) my first Motherboard was Gigabyte Z790 Eorus elite ax i payed extra 200euro and got the asus one above where i wrote. They told me will be fine just preinstall windows..

I did everything and its the same.. reading lot of posts from Steam/Reddit/ here aswell and i found about the Lower p-cores to x54 i helped but idk system feels weird CS2 on 200fps or on 500fps feels weird im losing internet packages left and right and also rainbox six siege for example feels laggy aswell (every third or idk few steps its stuttering or screen tear (i know how game must play out and it feels weird(not right))) 

This is not ok to lower p-cores to be able to play video games my old PC i didn't had a single problem like this i paid 2.5k euro 5k Leva in my country which is like 2 times my salary to enjoy after work games.. but i cannot i hope NEW BIOS update fix this or idk 

(sorry for bad english hope you guys understand me)

Also in addition sometimes rainbox starts without lowering p-cores / or maybe i try to reinstall clean driver on the gpu or install not the latest one its a weird situation with the crashes

StevenW78
Novice

Unfortunately, the common denominator in all this is, simply, the Intel 14900K. Your English is perfectly understandable, don't worry about that.

The GPU Driver is another point of failure to pay close attention to, though; I've had a number of cycles of dealing with the NVidia GPU Driver, especially with GeForce Experience installed, which has caused huge problems.

The issue there is that if you have GeForce Experience installed, it defaults to optimizing all games it finds on your system.

That would be great, except for some reason, depending on your desktop graphics resolution, it will try to "optimize" the games to run on the maximum possible resolution with the highest graphics settings theoretically capable for your NVidia video card.

This is insane nonsense, and I don't know why NVidia set it up to do that.

What you have to do, is turn the Optimization _OFF_ on GeForce Experience, and then set your desktop to whichever resolution you like, but make sure that the game is basically starting up/launching -- however it's launched -- at maximum 1280x800 resolution, 60Hz (make sure launching the game doesn't reset your desktop to that, with the wrong settings, it will and then that will be a headache).

This is not the forum to pursue THAT issue further, but it's worth investigating as another factor. I still don't feel it lets Intel's 14900K off the hook.

I like Intel; I like the way they experiment with new architectures. The result is that we end up as Lab Rats for Change, and it creates a lot of confusion and grenade-tossing between the large corporations involved with running software on their CPUs. The target is always changing, rapidly, and I think in the long run this will advance computing in general far more significantly than the comparatively brute force approach (my opinion) AMD takes to similar problems (and they're not perfection, either; their latest graphics driver with fancy frame manipulation is causing worldwide grief at the moment! <G>).

I'd rather participate in the experiment, but sure, if you need to use a computer that is stable, whether for work or play, stay far away from the bleeding edge, as it's expensive, risky and fraught with peril and time consumption. There's such a huge choice of proven tech on the market, and proven, reliable software, that it's very easy to get something which will be perfect for you.

If you want to be on the bleeding edge, though, prepare to bring antiseptic, and bandages, and something for the pain.

0 Kudos
Nichronos
Beginner

Здравей, имам 1:1 същия проблем като теб, смених 3 дъна на Z790 и 3 процесора 14900KF без ефект... Оптцията да го overervolt или downclock-ваш не е разумно решение, за мен ако не върви на стокови настройки значие е дефектно!

Имам 100% решение как да върви без крашове или сини екрани, трябва в BIOS да изключиш Hyperthreading (HT) на големите ядра, така не се налага да пипаш честотите и ще си върви на 5.7GHz , ще изгубиш около 5% Multicore но получаваш около 5% single core performance което не е драма, но е факт че не върви на стоковите си настройки без да се пипа. Ако изкаш ме намери в Дискорд със същия юзър както се пиша тук, туко виж сме намерили по-добро решение!

0 Kudos
marsianeca
Novice

Добавих те да  

marsianeca съм аз 

От интел отказват RMA (Връщане на продукта) защото реално не е дефектен според тях 

0 Kudos
Lucifer37666
Beginner

Hi,

I talk to Corsair staff support. 

I had 128 GB total

32GB x 2 = 64GB = x2 = 128GB

They suggest pairing the sticks according to MB specifications.

If 1 stick goes slot 2 means A1 or A2 

On MB you have numbers for DIMMS (SLOT MEMORY RAMS)

A1, A2, B1 and B2

So I check which is paired with a witch.

1st pair put on slot A1 with B1 mean 1 and 3 slot.

And rest on the remaining slots. Since then no more crushes.

0 Kudos
marsianeca
Novice

GUYS IM BACK I FOUND A SOLUTION 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/i9-14900k-There-is-a-problem-with-the-game/td-p/1569398

just follow the steps  i will post here aswell - atleast i played couple of games and its gone for now will keep you updated  with other games i will test it out 

===================================================================================================

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this might have caused you. We have heard of issues concerning our 13th and 14th Gen Unlocked processors. We would like to suggest the following steps to try and fix the issue. Please see below:

1. Install Intel® XTU(link below) and run AVX2 test, and if AVX2 test failure is seen proceed to Step 2.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

2. Access the BIOS settings and select Advanced (F7) > AI Tweaker > SVID Behavior: Change to “Intel’s Fail Safe”

3. Reboot to OS and run Intel® XTU test again and if the AVX2 test can pass.

4. Run CS2 and see if the issue happens again.

=====================================================================================================

0 Kudos
marsianeca
Novice

A small update the  SVID Behavior: Change to “Intel’s Fail Safe” its not a problem solver.

Using this option will indeed help but for me for few happy days i updated windows and same problem happend

Also cpu goes way too hot around 100degree which is crazy because i have a good water cooler idk im pretty disapointed from intel and desparate i will go for RMA again... 3rd time is a charm.

0 Kudos
Colosio
Novice

My problem and solutions so far

Im having the exact same issue, aorus z790, trident Z 7200, rtx 4090, Intel i9 14900K and fornite crashes with a msg of  "out of memory to allocate a graphic". You can force a crash of fornite by enabling hardware aceletarded RTX and open this season workbench,  it will CTD every time. also, every time the game updates the game crash by parts, first it will crash on opening, then crash on entering match then crash when on match until you crashed every time the game now runs as it should.

Thing i tried:

Worked:

-enabling DX11 doesnt crash but who wants DX11 if you need 12 for all the eye candy.

-Lowering P cores to 55x, BUT its not a solution, eventually the need to reload new things will crash again.

-Crash every instance of the runing of the game until you crashed on all the events, crash when start the app, crash when lobby opens, crash when  loading the match, crash when opening lego, and so ON. once you crashed once on all of those the game opens and works without issue on DX12. 

So, there is def something wrong hardware wise that's not a failed component, more like a particular programing issue wich one of the developers or the engeniering teams needs to fix. Nvidia is in denial of recognize the issue on they issues detected section, and Intel has not even aknowledge this issue neither. but it's getting a very bad thing to be a beta tester of such a costly tech.

hope i have help anybody with issues on all of this.

0 Kudos
sipax
Beginner

I gave up and went into my BIOS settings to permanently reduce the P cores. Bought a new case, AIO cooling, and a ton of fans. I still can't keep the CPU below 100c at max P cores. Theoretically, things shouldn't crash when a CPU hits 100c and throttles. Reducing P cores does keep the CPU below 100c.

0 Kudos
StevenW78
Novice

As the above link mentions, it’s explicitly at the point where DX12-based games initiate shader compilation. I have tested this with a number of titles, including Immortals of Aveum and WRC, both from EA.

For now, the best solution is to NOT overclock at all, and disable XMP in BIOS. Load your motherboard BIOS to Optimized Defaults, however that is controlled with your BIOS, save, exit and, preferably, if your CPU is not hot (check this), shut down completely. Power switch off. Wait thirty seconds. Cleanest way to clean boot into factory reset motherboard. If your CPU is not defective, this should have you running fine, no Intel XTU or other overclocking going on, anywhere.

If you are still getting crashes, at that point you need to RMA your CPU, or send it in, possibly with restock fee, for Amazon to handle the RMA for you, basically (this is in the US; it may work differently in other countries).

0 Kudos
StevenW78
Novice

Two other things it might be useful to add, based on info I’ve seen: first, the 14th generation Raptor Lake CPU really doesn’t need overclocking, at all. And it will not gain significant performance boosts using RAM faster than 4800MHz, even though we’re seeing RAM advertised at 8000MHz or more by manufacturers. Just set factory defaults on your motherboard and you’ll do great. Ignore all the Cinebench and other benchmarking competitions, unless that is your particular hobby. “Stock” is plenty fast for all current games.

Secondly, while it might sound surprising to us individual PC gamers, even though the 14900K just launched from Intel
last October, it’s already outdated, last generation news from an Intel roadmap perspective. Meteor Lake is imminent, and it is my impression that Intel is quickly moving in its product development division towards essentially a “System On Chip,” or SOC design, much more like what Apple is doing, for instance, with the ARM-based M3.

This kind of design means, not long from now, no more separate purchases of RAM, GPU, NPU, and CPU. They will all be on one chip, on integrated tiles, and processing, algorithms and data won’t be taking the long, winding dirt country roads they all take now along traces between separate components and busses. The latter is, simply, slow, energy wasting, inefficient and soon, outdated.

While this may be an upsetting evolution to all sorts of manufacturers at present, my opinion is that it’s an inevitable next step, and a wonderful one. It will align Intel’s own product development more closely and competitively with Intel’s future for its fab division. The latter is also an inevitable and imminent absolute necessity, not for any political reasons, but simply because even a TSMC won’t be able on its own to keep up with global demand.

At least, that’s what it looks like from the online public info and rumor I’ve read. Those in the business and professional computer scientists may see things very differently, as they have access to research I and the rest of us here simply have no knowledge of.

0 Kudos
brandona
Beginner

I also have an i9 14900k and RTX 4090. I managed to solve this issue by luck. Had a crash and bsod while forcing a directx12 game to run on 5.7ghz. After the crash, by luck Intel Extreme Tuning Utility re-arranged some values which were being set to unlimited when I switched to the default or custom profile that I created.

In other words, If you leave the P-Cores and E-Cores to its default values and set these values in the Intel Extreme Tunining Utility software it should work.

Processor Core ICCMax - 307.00A

Turbo Boost Short Power Max - 253.000W

Turbo Boost Power Max - 253.000W

0 Kudos
marsianeca
Novice

i will try it out today hope works cuz im tired of downclock ot 54 all the time...

0 Kudos
brandona
Beginner

Let me know if it worked for you ! I also have enhanced turbo boost set to auto in bios

0 Kudos
marsianeca
Novice

hey i did what u advised and yes i don't have crashes did couple of stress tests with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool  and AVX2 stress test and even played games which before on start crashed hehe im happy 

temp i see are lower when i did the stress test but also the cores are 5.4/5.5 max when at 100% which is fine i guess

Also noticed i have current/EDP limit throttling all the time can u help me remove  

I have  Asus ROG STRIX Z790-F also default settings in bios only XMP 1 enable do i need to touch something there

This current/EDP limit throttling is only happening when i do Processor Core ICCMax - 307.00A and if i don't do it my games keep crashing amazing job intel i spend so much money on this and even can't play on default  

0 Kudos