Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14552 Discussions

i9-14900k dx12 games crashing

Rambo
Novice

I have a new asus rog z790-e gaming i motherboard, 64gb 7200mhz ram, with i9-14900k processor. Everything runs great except dx12 games. In particular, I am running Fortnite. There are tons of people have this same issue with 13900k processors as well as 14900k processors. Since the 13900k issue started happening, many people have shared on Reddit and a few have found a work around by decreasing the pcore to 52x, which sucks to have to do, but it seems to work for some (not all). Some have RMA'd and think it's resolved, but it still comes back sometimes. How can I get help to solve this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rambo
Novice
I found a solution that has resolved the problem for me!!!!!! I did 2 things and I'm not sure which one resolved it, but I'm pretty sure which one it was. So I had Corsair vengeance RGB 7200 mhz x 4x16 (64GB) ram but it was running at 6000 i believe. So I replaced that ram withCORSAIR - VENGEANCE 32GB (2x16GB) 5600 MHz DDR5 CL40 Intel XMP Desktop Memory - Black from Best buy and do far zero crashes since Dec 17. I did also downgrade by GPU driver to add far back as possible and have not received to the latest. I am pretty confident it is not the gpu driver but I'm scared to change anything lol. I hope this helps someone. Please comment if it does so I know what helped, real or driver. Thank you. Merry Christmas!

View solution in original post

48 Replies
Gsmooth
Beginner

Same dilemma here.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @Rambo

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We understand you are experiencing issues with your Intel® Core™ i9-14900K Processor, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Please answer the following:

·      Was the game working before?

·      Have you made a software change that could have caused the issue?

·      What are the game version and settings?

Also, in order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Then, please generate and attach the Report for Intel® Graphics Command Center

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Faux_Real
Beginner

Same problem here, brand new build. Windows crashes and no dx12 games work unless I lower pcores to x53 or lower using your EXTREME! TUNING! utility.

0 Kudos
Rambo
Novice
I found a solution that has resolved the problem for me!!!!!! I did 2 things and I'm not sure which one resolved it, but I'm pretty sure which one it was. So I had Corsair vengeance RGB 7200 mhz x 4x16 (64GB) ram but it was running at 6000 i believe. So I replaced that ram withCORSAIR - VENGEANCE 32GB (2x16GB) 5600 MHz DDR5 CL40 Intel XMP Desktop Memory - Black from Best buy and do far zero crashes since Dec 17. I did also downgrade by GPU driver to add far back as possible and have not received to the latest. I am pretty confident it is not the gpu driver but I'm scared to change anything lol. I hope this helps someone. Please comment if it does so I know what helped, real or driver. Thank you. Merry Christmas!
Gsmooth
Beginner

What worked for me was lowering  Performance Core Ratio from 57x to 54x.

Rambo
Novice
Only problem is you're reducing your processor performance. Replacing the ram might solve your problem. Just a thought. Also mine was initially "solved" by reducing core speeds but then it started happening and it was more frequent after that. Like every 5 mins.
0 Kudos
KwaggaDan
Beginner

Just fwiw, I have the same issue. Built a new PC in January that has since just been bsod(ing) to high heaven when running any game. All the BSODs are to do with the watchclock and other memory failures. This even happens, albeit rarely, when using files that require processing like Excel.

I have tried underclocking the MoBo, using XMP, and running in different compatibility modes for Windows. No luck.

Specs:
CPU - Intel Core i9-14900K - Core i9 14th Gen 24-Core (8P+16E) LGA 1700 125W Intel UHD Graphics 770
MoBo - GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS XTREME X LGA 1700(14th,13th,12th Gen) Intel Z790 X EATX Motherboard with DDR5, 5 M.2, PCIe 5.0

RAM - DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 7600MT/s CL36 Intel XMP Memory Kit

CPU Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE LINK H170i LCD Liquid CPU Cooler - QX140 RGB Fans - Large 420mm Radiator

PSU - AX1600i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1600 Watt Fully-Modular PSU

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Rambo

Thank you for the confirmation.

We are glad to know you found a solution, thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Remember you can always check the Memory Specifications.

Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MTcore
Beginner
Hello, I had this issue too when enabling XMP over 5800mts, turned out my mobo was pushing SAgent voltage past 1.325v which on my 14900k produced an instant freeze/hang style crash in any operating context where memory was stressed apart from training.

Lowering memory and or cpu performance does prevent SAgent voltage going past 1.325v but is not a solution.

Alternatively you can lower SA voltage/set it to static/set an offset.
For me static at 1.125v has instantly fixed the issue.

XTU says default SAv is 1.3v seems something is wrong somewhere to lead to this.

Would appreciate confirmation of correct spec on this!

Glad I figured it out, would have sucked to run lower perf mem/cpu.
0 Kudos
Powerboy
Beginner

I tested that solution something go better, do you want try run cinebench 2024 in multicore and see if you can run? For me is stuck

0 Kudos
Rambo
Novice
I would gladly test this but our house burned down on Tuesday and we lost everything. I will be rebuilding later this year so if I run into the same issue, I will be testing and let you know.
0 Kudos
Lucifer37666
Beginner

1st step update bios. make sure you have latest bios update.

2. see settings in bios after this crap.

my was disabled by default ... 🤬

"Legacy Game Compatibily Mode" = Enable

0 Kudos
KwaggaDan
Beginner

Just as a caution, the Gigabyte BIOS update (F5e) has bricked some MoBos. 

0 Kudos
StevenW78
Novice

Having exact same problem, ASUS ROG Z790 Hero motherboard, Intel 14900KF CPU, 32GB Corsair 6000MT DDR5 RAM, ASUS TUF Gaming 4080 16GB OC Edition (not overclocked). I am running with default BIOS settings, BIOS 1801, but with XMP 1 turned on for the Corsair RAM to move from 4800MHz to 6000MHz.

If I use Intel XTU to reduce my P-Cores from 57 (which they default to without overclocking on this setup) to 54... all DX12 Games run fine (my worst-case scenario was Immortals of Aveum, which wouldn't even launch no matter what settings I tried previously).

It's easy enough to switch this back and forth, but it's a hack, not a solution. I'd like to know from Intel what is going on; whether it is an issue in DX12 (which is still in beta, and has been for a very long time), or the Intel 14900KF, or the ASUS motherboard, or the RAM. The RAM is listed on the ASUS QVL list.

The symptom is identical to what others above have reported, if I _don't_ downlock the P-Cores, I get all sorts of crashes, BSODs in Windows 11 (I have tried this in Home, Pro and am now on Preview (Beta) Pro Build, which is ironically the most stable at the moment), and even got stuck in some Windows 11 "Automatic Repair Loops" which recommended Resetting Windows, i.e. reinstalling it from scratch and then reinstalling all my many apps, which is a multi-day effort, so not a quick solution.

Please, Intel, provide some hard info on this. I have warned others about it in various places on the internet, the ASUS ROG Forum in the 600-700 Series section, have seen brief info in the Steam Community Immortals of Aveum Community Forum, from a participant with the handle of Grimzky (12-23-2023), where he claims this is a common issue with 14900 and 13900 series CPUs, and I have been laughed out of court in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Forum/Community (Tech section), where respondents, including moderators, have professed they've NEVER heard of this problem and think I must be some kind of idiot for thinking it is happening.

The last concerns me most, purely out of non-selfish concern for the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. This is a program enjoyed by literally tens of millions of participants around the world. Microsoft is intending to _require_ that DX12 be used when it has been installed. I don't know whether or how far they will get with fixing DX12 beta issues at that point, but none have shown up for a very long time now, so that's unclear as to whether it will ever change.

In any event, I would like to take this moment for the last time to encourage Intel to work with Microsoft to resolve whatever it is that is causing this issue. If it is something specific to the ASUS Z790 motherboards, that company needs to be brought into the loop, too.

Otherwise, you are going to have a real mess on your hands when MSFS2024 launches, is my concern.

Meanwhile, I can hack with the downclocking tweak, though it seems a shame to do so. It's not like there's much performance lost, but if I've spent money on an unlocked 14900 CPU, I should be able to use it as it is spec'd to be used, at least. Not being able to use it even without overclocking it unless I downclock the P-Cores seems like a defect of some sort, whether in marketing, manufacturing or implementation. The error should be corrected. And this should be more widely known as an issue. I'll leave it to others to publicize it.

Lucifer37666
Beginner

Hi,

Your i9 14900KF is not running at 6000... It is max up to DDR5 5600 MT/s, and the same for my processor i9 14900K

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/236787/intel-core-i9-processor-14900kf-36m-cache-up-to-6-00-ghz/specifications.html

So another aspect to be care about.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
mvejerslev
Beginner

Just created an account to say I have the exact same issue. Completely new system, ASUS Z790-Plus MB, i9-14900kf, RTX 4090. My system seems completely unstable, crashes left and right in CS2, MSFS, Cinebench. I can run some things on an underclock, but I still get instability somewhere in the system, even on stock RAM (DDR5-6000 running at 4800). I've had it with tinkering for each title I want to run. FIX please.

holleyks
Beginner

Same issue. All my games are randomly crashing or not launching at all. Upgraded to a 

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-bit Ver.2009 (OS build 22631.3007)
BIOS Version: A.90
BIOS Release Date: 09/08/2023
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900KF
Memory: 64 GB @
- 32 GB DDR5-4800, Team Group Inc UD5-6000
- 32 GB DDR5-4800, Team Group Inc UD5-6000
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090

And this build is crashing all the time. This is so frustrating. Following this thread in hopes something gets resolved.

b1rdy
Beginner

wow the amount of time i've spent trying different things to fix my pc and never would I have thought its the brand new cpu I bought, I literally replaced every single part in my pc and now I find out its the cpu. Need intel to find a fix for this asap.

StevenW78
Novice
I almost did the same, but I’ve owned Intel processors since the advent of the 8086 (and owned Z80 before that), and I’m quite intimate with all the things that can go wrong at low level, as a passionate hobbyist. So don’t be ashamed of ending up having done that, or angry. Troubleshooting is an extremely challenging process; most people give up long before isolating the real problems. I seem to have a knack at it.

I’m also OCD (or scientific in mindset, I prefer to think) enough to be discontent until I’ve found hard evidence and confirmation of what the real answer is.

While this thread is marked resolved, scientifically speaking, it is not, and I agree, it is incumbent on Intel to be responsible for identifying, and then publishing, the real problem and plans for its solution. That’s just good, basic computer science.

Scientists must not let profit-seeking warp truth; they lose their credibility if they do. Corporations must support real science, or over the long term, they do damage to themselves. Pretty simple, really.

I’m excited to see what comes from Intel next; they’re on the right path. Meteor Lske is an amazing architecture, and there’s much more to come.

Just be diligent, folks, along the way.
0 Kudos
sipax
Beginner

SAME ISSUE. 4090 and Intel 14900k. Heck, this deserves a class action at this point. What the heck. SO MANY people report the same issue. SO MANY says that lowering x57 fixes it. This is absurd.

0 Kudos