Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20735 Discussions

CameraLink interface

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I will have to connect a line-scan camera with CameraLink output to a DE2-115 board soon, and there is a daughter card called CLR-HSMC that can be purchased to enable that. 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=68&no=588&partno=6 

Has anyone used this protocol and what information do I need from both the card and camera manufacturers to be able to read the data? I know my camera is a 1024 pixels/line at a line frequency of 45 khz and it outputs raw 8-bit/pixel data with a base CameraLink interface. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, we used the TerASIC Quad Link LVDS HSMC board to interface to a CameraLink camera. The camera used the Base configuration so it was easy enough to adapt the Base configuration to standard 27 bit parallel video format accepted by the Clocked Video Input module in the VIP suite. However, the camera was transmitting in Bayer format so we had to develop a Bayer filter to put inline. 

Do you have the CameraLink spec? If not, it should be easy enough to find it on the web. 

Things you'll want to know: 

* Is it using a Base, Medium or Full CameraLink configuration. This should be apparent by the number of 26 pin MDR connectors/cables on the camera. 

* What data format is the camera transmitting? Color? Monochrome? Bayer? 

Good luck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, we used the TerASIC Quad Link LVDS HSMC board to interface to a CameraLink camera. The camera used the Base configuration so it was easy enough to adapt the Base configuration to standard 27 bit parallel video format accepted by the Clocked Video Input module in the VIP suite. However, the camera was transmitting in Bayer format so we had to develop a Bayer filter to put inline. 

Do you have the CameraLink spec? If not, it should be easy enough to find it on the web. 

Things you'll want to know: 

* Is it using a Base, Medium or Full CameraLink configuration. This should be apparent by the number of 26 pin MDR connectors/cables on the camera. 

* What data format is the camera transmitting? Color? Monochrome? Bayer? 

Good luck. 

--- Quote End ---  

Is it possible to interfacing base CameraLink, color line scan camera to the fpga with CLR-HSMC daughter board? 

If im interfacing 2 cameras at a time what is the performance?
0 Kudos