Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

[Configuration Related] Cyclone III AP Configuration

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Host, 

I am designing Cyclone III EP3C120 Board. On this board, i am configuring FPGA with AP configuration. In this configuration, i am using Micron P33 Parallel NOR Flash Memory.I will program the configuration through JTAG interfacing.  

For VCCIO banks 1,6,7 and 8, i will use 3.3V. 

Please provide additional information, if necessary. 

Regards, 

Mohsin Hayat
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like you're following the 'AP Configuration' section of the Cyclone III handbook. All the detail you need is in there. I'm not sure we can be expected to "provide additional information" here as well. 

Follow the design guidelines and you'll be fine. If you have specific questions ask them here. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have one question about Passive Parallel Configuration......Is it possible we use NIOSII Processor and Cyclone III to interface with external Flash Memory without using CPLDs?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. You can use the same parallel FLASH device to both boot your device and then run your Nios from. You don't need a CPLD. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oh realli? Please give me Altera Reference Or Any design example? i m realli worried about that. I study alot of time the Altera Configuration Book, volume 1 and 2.But i cann't find. Please give me design example.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That should be Cyclone III handbook right?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes its in Cyclone III handbook but in detail in "Altera Configuration Handbook , Volume 1 & 2".

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Host, 

Please respond on my query urgently. i am stuck on this point.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Providing you follow the guidelines in the "AP Configuration (Supported Flash Memories)" section - page 9-23 - of the "configuration, design security, and remote system upgrades in the cyclone iii device family (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyc3/cyc3_ciii51016.pdf)" chapter of the handbook Volume 1, specifically Figure 9-8, you will be able to use that parallel FLASH device with your Nios II processor. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks sir for sharing this point.Its cleared to me regarding AP Configuration.  

I have last point about the configuration now.  

In Passive Serial Configuration, Is it possible to use supported flash memories with NIOS II Processor? If possible then ...we connect flash to dedicated pins of FPGA r any I/Os can be used?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For PS Configuration, please see the page 9-34, "Configuration, Design Security, and Remote System Upgrades in the Cyclone III Device Family" chapter of the handbook Volume 1.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One More Point,sir that i want to discuss wid u regarding FPP Configuration, please refer to the document, "Parallel Flash Loader IP CORE User Guide". In this document, at the page 10, this describe the CFI Flash with CPLD only.I am confuse on this point.Please clear it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes - With Cyclone III, if you configure using AS from a serial FLASH device, you can then access/use that same FLASH device to boot Nios or simply access it from your Nios code. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos