Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20706 Discussions

How can I benefit the TRDB_D5M using features?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there, 

I'm using the TRDB_D5M 5 Mega Pixel Digital Camera Development Kit with the DE1 board. As mentioned in the "TRDB_D5M" user guide, the D5M kit is designed to use the same strict design and layout practices used in high-end consumer products with many features such as: 

- Snapshot mode to take frames on demand 

- Column and row skip modes to reduce image size without reducing field-of-view 

- Column and row binning modes to improve image quality when resizing 

- Programmable controls: gain, frame rate, frame size, exposure 

and others. 

It's not obvious for me how to reach such features. For example, I want to reduce image size before storing it in the SDRAM. I've checked the verilog code that comes with the reference design on the CD, but should I modify it? and how if so? 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello there, 

I'm using the TRDB_D5M 5 Mega Pixel Digital Camera Development Kit with the DE1 board. As mentioned in the "TRDB_D5M" user guide, the D5M kit is designed to use the same strict design and layout practices used in high-end consumer products with many features such as: 

- Snapshot mode to take frames on demand 

- Column and row skip modes to reduce image size without reducing field-of-view 

- Column and row binning modes to improve image quality when resizing 

- Programmable controls: gain, frame rate, frame size, exposure 

and others. 

It's not obvious for me how to reach such features. For example, I want to reduce image size before storing it in the SDRAM. I've checked the verilog code that comes with the reference design on the CD, but should I modify it? and how if so? 

Thanks in advance. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, 

Quickly checking the TRDB-D5M Hardware Specification pdf and browsing through the DE1 Demonstration Verilog sample on the CD, I would start out with understanding the i2c interface to read/write the D5M registers (Chapter 4 in the hardware specification). Next I would understand how to convert the raw data from the D5M to RGB and simply display that via the VGA output on the DE1. You should be able to display the camera Field-of-View via the VGA. I think the main files for doing this on the DE1 demonstration are DE1_D5M.v, I2C_Controller.v, I2C_CCD_Config.v, RAW2RGB.v and VGA_Controller.v. I would use the .v files above in combination with the Hardware Specification pdf to understand the D5M interface. 

Personally I would avoid using SDRAM till you understand the D5M interface completely. Then again, you may be an SDRAM expert :D. 

FYI, I did the procedure above for the audio codec on the DE1: understand i2c configuration for codec (via the codec datasheet on the CD) and then did a simple ADC-DAC loopback (I actually mapped the verilog code to VHDL). After 8 hours of total work, I have a working codec. 

Hope that helps. 

Bart
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply, 

Actually I did read those files, though I am not that good at verilog or VHDL. But you already answered my question, cause I was wondering if I could reduce image size just in "one click":p Obviously, I could not. So I will check these files in details again. 

Thanks alot
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I m working on a edge detection project,where they used a TRDB_DC2(1.3 MP camera).... 

My doubt is if i use TRDB_d5m Camera...will i get the output....without making any changes in the project have? 

thnx in advance!!
0 Kudos