Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20764 Discussions

How to connect af microphone with 4 wires

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Where do you find the connections to the FPGA? I mean how do you know what pins to connect to the module you just progammed some code for ? 

I use the Nios II embedded evaluation kit cyclone III edition, with the daughter board. On the board I want to connect a microphone, it has 4 wires. Where can I connect this ? 

I would like to have the Pin information Settings for the whole board. Just like Xilinx, in their guide for the boards the explain the buttons and then they write the pin connections. The same with the RS-232, lights, and all other components on the board. How does this work in quartus :confused:  

BR 

Benjamin
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There's a lot of documentation: Schematics, user manuals, FPGA pin lists. I got them from the Altera site, but I would expect they have been shipped with the board. A microsphone should be connected to the audio codec, it has a microphone jack. What are you missing particularly?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This page has everything you could ever need for your kit. Go to the bottom of the page for all the documentation. 

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc3-embedded.html 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Sorry I should have told you that it is a digital microphone, so I just need 4 digital connections on the board. 

I have found the following connections on the daughter board: 

http://nygaard1899.dk/Daughterboard.bmp  

What 4 lines can I use? And what is the pin connection that I have to setup in quartus on the FPGA(CyloneIII EP3C25F324C6NES)? 

The drawing is from lcd_multimedia_daughtercard.pdf 

BR 

Benjamin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you mean by "digital microphone"? A microphone with digital audio output? In this case you don't have to connect it to the audio codec, but directly to digital I/O of the board. Please clarify better.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Yes a microphone with digital audio output. Yes I just need to connect it to a digital I/O, but I would like to use the connections on the drawing but what is the pin connections in the FPGA that connects to these I/O? 

With the pin connections I mean in Quartus->Assignments->Pins 

BR 

Benjamin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have a look at the excel file "CIII_SK_pinTable.xls" which you will find in the included documentation with your kit. You have to select one of the FPGA pins that are connecetd to the HSMC interface.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, four of the FPGA pins connected to the HSMC interface.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Thanks that helped a bit. I found the file. 

But I still can´t find any free connections. I have found this on the main board: 

Signal Name FPGA Pin Name Direction Type HSMC Pin 

HSMC_D0 H6 Bidirectional 2.5 V 41 

HSMC_D1 D3 Bidirectional 2.5 V 42 

HSMC_D2 M5 Bidirectional 2.5 V 43 

HSMC_D3 L6 Bidirectional 2.5 V 44 

But thay are alle connected to some chip on the daughter board? I just can´t find any free connections on the HSMC Expansion Connector. 

The best solution would be to find some free connections on the main board. 

BR 

Benjamin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The multimedia daughter board may or may not have unconnected HSMC signals (I think, it has some), but it obviously has no free connectors for additional digital signals. You could use the PS2 or SD/MMC connector if not needed otherwise.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Ok, thanks. 

BR 

Benjamin
0 Kudos