Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Programing code using altera usb blaster

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Im new to the whole Altera system and this might be a stupid question but i just want to make sure before i gou any further. I bought the Altera USB Blaster emulator, and now Im wondering if there is any software to just load the program onto the FPGA. Im using a MAX II FPGA that is mounted on the PCB and with JTAG attached to it. I know that Quartus allows for designing and programming different devices. I downloaded the free 30 day version but Im interested in anything that is free. All i need for now is to just erase, load and verify the program on chip. I have the code already written. Is there any software that can do this? Or is any of the older versions of Quartus available for free? Im running on Windows 7 and I heard that I need at least Quartus 10.1 for it to run. Any sugestions would be helpful. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, do you get an Altera dev kit ? What is your board ? 

MAX II is a CPLD, I think : by looking at https://www.altera.com/download/sw/dnl-sw-index.jsp, Quartus 10.1 supports MAX II, OK 

You can get Quartus Subscription Edition : 30 day trial 

and Quartus Web Edition, free with some limitations : see https://www.altera.com/literature/po/ss_quartussevswe.pdf Quartus Web Edition (free) would be sufficient for you. 

You say "programing", do you mean "configure the MAX II with custom logic" ? 

Your code is written in VHDL, Verilog, ... ? or is it a legacy project ? or a code for an Altera dev kit ? 

Even if your code is already written, you have to create a project to bring your code, , to choose device (MAX II), to assign ports to the good CPLD pins... 

Yes, you can still get older Quartus Web edition for free : see links above.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes its a CPLD, sorry. I dont have dev board. Basically i got a board with a MAX II CPLD mounted in it, JTAG and couple different devices. The board comes from a bigger project. I also got a newer version of code that Im trying to load into the CPLD. Thats why Im trying to figure out a way to do it. I dont need to write or modify the code so far, just get in onto the MAX II.  

Is the older, free version of Quartus full version or also limited in some way? Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes older free (Web edition) versions are limited but it does not matter for you. 

I understand that you just want to program CPLD with a code from an older project. 

Was it an older Quartus project ? If yes, you could program with the .sof file. 

If it was only VHDL or Verilog code, you have to create a project and assign ports to pins. Easy. 

Could you give please more details of your older project ? only code or full older project...
0 Kudos