Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

QSYS and JTAG Debugger

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a design I've built in QSYS using a 16-bit bus. I'd like to include the JTAG to Avalon Master in my design so that I can do a quick system-level check using TCL commands before handing it off to a software guy. 

Before building this relatively complex design, I took a half a day to build and test a simple 8-bit design on an eval board. This is an incredible tool! 

However, I'm stuck getting the JTAG Master into my 16-bit design. QSYS complains that the JTAG master has an 8-bit symbol width, while all my slave devices have 16-bit widths. 

Is there a 16-bit version of the JTAG Master, or some "magic" 8-bit to 16-bit bridge I can put in? 

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The JTAG-to-Avalon-MM master has a 32-bit data bus. See Chapter 18 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf 

Under SOPC Builder you do not have any option to change the bus width. I assume that under Qsys its the same. 

The Qsys system builder should insert width adapters. 

If it does not, just create your own components with 32-bit widths, and generate two 16-bit transactions if all byte-enables are enabled. This is what I do to make 16-bit SRAM look like 32-bit SRAM. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

dwh -- That's puzzling, b/c QSYS gives the following error message 

"Signal master[8] and signal avalon_slave_0[16] must have the same symbol width" 

I guess I could make the system 32-bit, but I'd prefer to figure out what's going on here. I thought that the bus width was automatically handled under QSYS. 

I'm just using QSYS to connect the bus fabric and for the JTAG debug capability. The FPGA attaches externally to a separate DSP.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

That's puzzling, b/c QSYS gives the following error message 

"Signal master[8] and signal avalon_slave_0[16] must have the same symbol width" 

--- Quote End ---  

That sounds like a how many bits per byte issue. Look in the _hw.tcl file for your component and see if you have a 16-bit symbol size, rather than 8-bit symbol size. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I guess I could make the system 32-bit, but I'd prefer to figure out what's going on here. I thought that the bus width was automatically handled under QSYS. 

I'm just using QSYS to connect the bus fabric and for the JTAG debug capability. The FPGA attaches externally to a separate DSP. 

--- Quote End ---  

The JTAG-to-Avalon-MM master, and SignaTap II are very useful for debugging problems, so its definitely worth figuring out what is wrong. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave -- Thanks. It was a symbol width mismatch. I had not understood why Altera was asking for the symbol size and had defined the 16-bit bus width parts as having 16-bits per symbol. Now I also understand the addressing increments as well. This is great.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It was a symbol width mismatch. I had not understood why Altera was asking for the symbol size and had defined the 16-bit bus width parts as having 16-bits per symbol. Now I also understand the addressing increments as well. 

--- Quote End ---  

Great! Now you can move onto your next problem :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos