Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Quartus 8.0 launch from openSUSE 10.2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been using openSUSE 10.2 with Quartus 8.0 on 32bit OS, and I never had any major issue. Couple months ago, I set up another PC running openSUSE 10.2 with 64bit. I didn't have any issue with 64bit until now. The issue is that when I launch Quartus, the GUI doesn't launch. I see that the task is running on back ground, but I do not see any GUI.  

When I logged in as root, the GUI launches. Any idea?:confused:
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Two solutions: 

1. Add yourself in sudousers and launch quartus with sudo. 

2. Edit the .bashrc to add paths (as explained in QuartusForLinux wiki). You will be able to launch quartus without sudo thereafter.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Although your problem might be related to using a Linux version that Quartus doesn't officially support, I have a similar symptom with a supported version of Linux. The first time I run "quartus &", sometimes the GUI doesn't appear even though the process is running. The second time I run it, the GUI starts fine. Have you tried running it twice in a row?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did try launching quartus more than one time, but the GUI didn't launch.  

I always used the Quartus as user insteader of root. In user login, I do have the Quartus path in .bashrc. I haven't seen the Quartus wiki (where is this wiki? :D ) . I'll take a look. 

Do you know whether GUI setting is saved for each user? When I launch the Quartus in root, all the GUI were set to default. 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Do you know whether GUI setting is saved for each user? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, each user's settings are saved in quartus2.ini just as under Microsoft Windows. Mine are in .altera.quartus/quartus2.ini under my home directory.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I always used the Quartus as user insteader of root. In user login, I do have the Quartus path in .bashrc. I haven't seen the Quartus wiki (where is this wiki? :D ) . I'll take a look. 

--- Quote End ---  

Here is the wiki: 

http://nioswiki.jot.com/wikihome/operatingsystems/quartusforlinux 

Btw, did you try sudoing to launch quartus? 

Cheers!
0 Kudos