Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20711 Discussions

Reconfiguring EPCS without overwriting user FLASH

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using a cyclone II (EP2C5) with an EPCS16 configuration device. Configuration is done AS. The first time my board is powered, the code will do a brief calibration and then store some parameters to unused portions of the EPCS16 using the ASMI megafunction (no NIOS). What I would like to be able to do is load different configuration files onto the EPCS16 without overwriting the parameters that have already been saved to the memory. What method or technique can I use to accomplish this, if at all? I have headers for both JTAG and AS interfaces on my board. 

Thank you, 

Kevin
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So you just need to make sure the block containing the data parameters does not get erased. I for one have been using NIOS so long to program the flash that I can't remember the nuances of doing it via the Quartus II Programmer. But if I remember correctly the problem you are likely running into is that the programmer is erasing the entire flash every time. Is that correct? 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, Quartus programmer does a bulk erase, both in AS direct and JTAG indirect programming, and a verify of the full memory area, also of unused parts. The tool is not intended to support user data coexisting with configuration.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This has been discussed in another thread, but i can't find it. 

right out my head somebody posted a solution for this, thats why i remeber that theme ...
0 Kudos