Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20709 Discussions

TimeQuest .sdc constraints for EPCS (ALTASMI_PARALLEL megafunction)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm using the ALTASMI_PARALLEL megafunction to access a EPCS16 device at 25MHz (active serial) on a Cyclone III device. 

The EPCS16 is 2 centimeters away from the FPGA (very small PCB traces). 

In order for this to work I had to select "Use and user I/O" on all four EPCS interface pins. 

As a side effect I now need to properly constrain these four pins in TimeQuest. 

I know that the signals are "source-synchronous output" because the clk is outputted from the FPGA (AN433) but nevertheless this seams tricky because the data in using falling edge and dataout uses riding edge. 

Has anyone already did that ? Can you share the file ?
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is what I got so far: 

--- Quote Start ---  

# Create external XTAL Clock input 

create_clock -name {CLK_50MHZ_PLL[4]} -period 20.000 -waveform { 0.000 10.000 } [get_ports {CLK_50MHZ_PLL[4]}] 

# Create PLL Generated Clocks 100MHz and 25MHz  

create_generated_clock -name {clk} -source [get_pins {pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|inclk[0]}] -duty_cycle 50.000 -multiply_by 2 -master_clock {CLK_50MHZ_PLL[4]} [get_pins {pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[0]}]  

create_generated_clock -name {clk_asmi} -source [get_pins {pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|inclk[0]}] -duty_cycle 50.000 -multiply_by 1 -divide_by 2 -master_clock {CLK_50MHZ_PLL[4]} [get_pins {pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[1]}]  

# Constrain the *ALTERA_DCLK output port from the ALTASMI_PARALLEL megafunction 

set_min_delay -from [get_pins {pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[1]}] -to [get_ports {*ALTERA_DCLK}] 5.1 

set_max_delay -from [get_pins {pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[1]}] -to [get_ports {*ALTERA_DCLK}] 7.1 

# EPCS clk (virtual clock at the input pin of the EPCS device) 

create_generated_clock -name {clk_epcs} -source [get_pins {pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[1]}] [get_ports {*ALTERA_DCLK}] 

set_max_skew -from [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -to [get_ports {*ALTERA_DCLK}] 0.2 

# Set Clock Uncertainty 

derive_clock_uncertainty 

# Board trace delays 

set max_btd 0.2 

set min_btd 0.1 

# Set Input Delay, see Table 3-17 of the EPCS Datasheet# ************************************************************** 

set_input_delay -max [expr $max_btd +8 +$max_btd] -clock { epcs_dclk } -clock_fall [get_ports {*ALTERA_DATA0}] 

set_input_delay -min [expr $min_btd +5 +$min_btd] -clock { epcs_dclk } -clock_fall [get_ports {*ALTERA_DATA0}] 

# Set Output Delay, see Table 3-16 of the EPCS Datasheet# **************************************************************# Do not violate tSLCH (t ce setup) 

set_output_delay -add_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] [expr +$max_btd +10 -$min_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SCE}]# Do not violate tCHSL (t ce hold) 

set_output_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -[expr +$min_btd +10 -$max_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SCE}] 

# Do not violate tDVCH (t data setup) 

set_output_delay -add_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] [expr +$max_btd +5 -$min_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SDO}]# Do not violate tCHDX (t data hold) 

set_output_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -[expr +$min_btd +5 -$max_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SDO}] 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I use the "set_max_skew" like shown above I get: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Warning: No path is found satisfying assignment "set_max_skew -from [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -to [get_ports {*ALTERA_DCLK}] 1.000 ". This assignment will be ignored. 

--- Quote End ---  

When I remove the "set_max_skew" line I get: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Unconstrained Output Port: 

asmi_slave:asmi_inst|asmi:asmi_inst|asmi_altasmi_parallel_t852:asmi_altasmi_parallel_t852_component|cycloneii_asmiblock3~ALTERA_DCLK 

No output delay, min/max delays, false-path exceptions, or max skew assignments found. This port has clock assignment. 

Unconstrained Output Port Paths: 

pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[1] 

No output delay, min/max delays, false-path exceptions, or max skew assignments found. This port has clock assignment. 

--- Quote End ---  

So how do I fix it ? Is it a bug in Quartus ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There seems to be two different clocks in these statements: 

# EPCS clk output 

create_generated_clock -name {epcs_dclk} -source [get_pins {pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[1]}] [get_ports {*ALTERA_DCLK}]  

set_max_skew -from [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -to [get_ports {*ALTERA_DCLK}] 1 

Was that intended? 

I would think you might have ment something more like this: 

# EPCS clk output 

create_generated_clock -name {clk_epcs} -source [get_pins {pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk[1]}] [get_ports {*ALTERA_DCLK}]  

set_max_skew -from [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -to [get_ports {*ALTERA_DCLK}] 1 

In order for the "set_max_skew" command to be applied to the design by the tools.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ngcreese, you are correct. I had a copy paste error in the forum, (I corrected it now) but the .sdc file that I used with TimeQuest was correct(did not have the error I had in the forum). So Your tip did not help me. :(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

ngcreese, you are correct. I had a copy paste error in the forum, (I corrected it now) but the .sdc file that I used with TimeQuest was correct. So Your tip did not help me. 

--- Quote End ---  

No worries man. Glad your constraints are working for you without this skew constraint.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, that is the problem. It seams they do not work with it but also do not work without it. 

I filed a service request with altera, let's see what they say about it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

one other question for you. It seems that on your output delays, you're using a system view, accounting for board data delay, setup & hold values of the external device and board clk delays. With that view of the outside world I've read that -max -min formulas look like this: 

Output max delay = max(board_data_delay) + tsu_ext - min(board_clk_delay) 

Output min dalay = min(board_data_delay) - th_ext - max(board_clk_delay) 

Did you intend to have positive tH values in your assertion expressions, as shown in bold and italicized below? 

# Board trace delays 

set max_btd 2 

set min_btd 1 

# Set Output Delay, see Table 3-16 of the EPCS Datasheet# ************************************************* *************# Do not violate tSLCH (t ce setup) 

set_output_delay -add_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] [expr +$max_btd +10 -$min_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SCE}]# Do not violate tCHSL (t ce hold) 

set_output_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -[expr +$min_btd +10 -$max_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SCE}] 

# Do not violate tDVCH (t data setup) 

set_output_delay -add_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] [expr +$max_btd +5 -$min_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SDO}]# Do not violate tCHDX (t data hold) 

set_output_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -[expr +$min_btd +5 -$max_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SDO}]  

Your setup (-max) formulas looks good. However, I'm wondering if your hold (-min) formulas are correct. 

Appying the system view formula from above: 

Output min dalay = min(board_data_delay) - th_ext - max(board_clk_delay) 

I thinking your output delay -min statements should look like this: 

set_output_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -[expr +$min_btd -10 -$max_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SCE}] 

set_output_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {clk_epcs}] -[expr +$min_btd -5 -$max_btd] [get_ports {*ALTERA_SDO}]  

What's your thoughts on this?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you noticed that I have a - sign before the [expr ] ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Did you noticed that I have a - sign before the [expr ] ? 

--- Quote End ---  

Didn't notice them, but I don't believe they should be there. 

You're current expressions: 

# Board trace delays 

set max_btd 2 

set min_btd 1 

-[expr +$min_btd +10 -$max_btd]  

-[ 1 + 10 - 2 ] 

-[ 11 - 2 ] 

-[ 9 ] 

-[expr +$min_btd +5 -$max_btd] 

-[ 1 + 5 - 2 ] 

-[ 6 - 2 ] 

-[ 4 ] 

What the system view, source sync docs seem to be saying (no leading minus sign on the entire expression,instead tH value itself is negated): 

[expr +$min_btd -10 -$max_btd] 

[ 1 - 10 - 2 ] 

[ -9 - 2 ] 

[ -11 ] 

[expr +$min_btd -5 -$max_btd] 

[ 1 - 5 - 2 ] 

[ -4 - 2 ] 

[ -6 ] 

The results do seem to work out differently. Tbh, I havent seen versions of these -max -min equations where the -min [expr... ] has started off with a negative sign.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got those expressions from the TimeQuest on-line video tutorial. They might be wrong, I'm still waiting for the FAE answer, maybe he could shed some light on it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

amilcar,  

I think you need to use set_min_delay and set_max_delay to constrain the output clock ( ALTERA_DCLK) instead of set_max_skew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks rbugalho, I've now added those constraints (edited the original post in the previous page) and the warnings are gone. 

I still use the max_skew to relate epcs_clk with the output pin of the FPGA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For this altasmi_parallel core and the dedicated AS pins, you don't need to add any timing constraint on it, and you don't need to do timing analysis.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

For this altasmi_parallel core and the dedicated AS pins, you don't need to add any timing constraint on it, and you don't need to do timing analysis. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I've noticed that the post is a bit old, but... 

on what do you base your statement? Have you found this recommendation anywhere? 

Typicall when Altera generates some core (e.g. Nios) it will also generate a corresponding .sdc file. For ASMI I haven't seen any, so I just thought I have to constrain it, just in case...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think I've actually hit a bug related to hold timing violation of data output from the hard ASMI block to the first flip-flop in the shift register in ALTASMI_PARALLEL. The tool doesn't appear to time that path. On some builds (~1 out 20) the timing is precisely off such that there is a hold violation on that path, and I get inconsistent data on the ALTASMI_PARALLEL dataout port from one read to another. Probing internally on the FPGA with signal probe, I see that data is correct coming out of ASMI but incorrect after it is latched into the shift-register. 

So much for not having timing constraints :( Opening an SR with Altera.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I think I've actually hit a bug related to hold timing violation of data output from the hard ASMI block to the first flip-flop in the shift register in ALTASMI_PARALLEL. The tool doesn't appear to time that path. On some builds (~1 out 20) the timing is precisely off such that there is a hold violation on that path, and I get inconsistent data on the ALTASMI_PARALLEL dataout port from one read to another. Probing internally on the FPGA with signal probe, I see that data is correct coming out of ASMI but incorrect after it is latched into the shift-register. 

So much for not having timing constraints :( Opening an SR with Altera. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

thanks for posting this here. Can you let us know what the answer from Altera was? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos