Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

UART recive and send loop

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi: 

I post attachments about the UART recive and send loop HDL code ( attachments 1)and signaltap waves . 

I have some questions to ask your gurus~! 

1:I use the 50M oscilation, when I set baud rate >= 19200bps,then I can send the data which I have received,when the baud rate is 9600bps,I even cannot get the rigth data which I send though UART test assistant.please see the attachments( attachments 2) . 

2:My aim is : receive a data though UART test assistant to my board,then send the data to PC,when I set baudrate 19200bps,I often get lots of disordered code before getting the rigth data  

please check at my code ,and give me some advise, I will appreciate it !!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You defined baud_cnt 8bit wide (range 0 - 255), but for a 9600 baudrate it needs to reach 326, then it overflows. 

Replace line 40 with reg [8:0] baud_cnt;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for your reply!~ 

I focus on the inaccuracy of the buadrate~ 

but,is there somebody answer me the other questions I had post.thanks a lot!!~
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Regarding question 2, I think a major issue is the fact you use baud_clk and baud_clk16 as clocks signals for the send and recv processes. These are actually generated signals and they don't have the low skew requirement as a real clock has (e.g. from a pll). 

You should clock every process with the primary clock CLK and you'd rather generate single clock enables at the baud_clk and baud_clk16 frequencies to make your job.
0 Kudos