Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

USB Blaster problem: USB <-> serial

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

Does any one get the same problem when connecting the usb blaster into DE2 board ? 

It did not recognize the usb blaster anymore. It showed the message "Found new hardware USB <-> serial " at the right corner of computer. In the Device manager, it also showed an "other devices USB <-> serial".  

I did re-install the driver but it was the same problem. 

Are there any solutions to fix this trouble ? 

Thanks in advance, 

Khai.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The USB-Blaster uses the same FTDI chip (and drivers) that e.g. Serial USB cables use. There can be a driver conflict. Please refer to previous discussion on the forum (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2015).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Does any one get the same problem when connecting the usb blaster into DE2 board ? 

--- Quote End ---  

Perhaps the EEPROM on the board was erased or was unreadable by the FTDI FT245 device when the board powered-up? 

You can download a program from FTDI that allows you to read and write the EEPROM 

http://www.ftdichip.com/support/utilities.htm#ft_prog 

Go and read the EEPROM. If the EEPROM is read back as all FFs then it is blank (or there is a problem with your board). 

If you have a USB-Blaster, then read its EEPROM, and save it as a template. You can then change the serial number and write it to the EEPROM. If you don't have one, send me an email directly (to my forum name), and I'll read the EEPROM from my DE2 and send you a template. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just received an email asking for the FT245B EEPROM XML image. I'll post it here in case someone else needs it. 

Download the .txt file, change the extension to .xml, and use FT_PROG to program your DE2 board (or any other Terasic-based board that uses the FT245B device). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos