Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20735 Discussions

Using a signal as a clock and a condition (synchronous)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am uncomfortable with the construction of the following code, specifically the use of a signal both as a clock and as a condition. The signal “irst” is used within the always loop as a clock and within the “if” statement as a test condition. The decisions are synchronous with the specified clocks “<=”. My understanding of the “<=” convention is the value of the signal previous to the occurrence of the corresponding clock is latched at the specified clock edge. I do not see how the condition of “irst” is ever satisfied with the “irst” positive clock. Within the simulation, the value of “irst” is captured. The behavior I see within the simulation is: 

irst set high within the “INITIAL” statement, then low after a short time. 

SCK begins clocking some time later.  

The register array sreg[] is not blank within the simulator window until after the fifth occurrence of SCK. At that time, all the registers appear with a value of “0”. 

code sample: 

module spi_slave ( 

CS_N, SCK, SDI, SDO, 

irst, iclk, orst 

); 

….. 

parameter NUM_REG = 8; 

integer nr; 

wire [11:0] rdat = {serial_in[10:0],SDI}; 

reg [11:0] sreg [1:NUM_REG-1];  

always @(posedge irst or posedge SCK) begin // expect data to change on falling SCK 

if (irst)  

begin 

for(nr=1; nr<NUM_REG; nr=nr+1) 

sreg[nr] <= 0; 

end 

else if (&all_cnt[3:0]) 

begin 

sreg[opcode] <= rdat; 

end 

end
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am uncomfortable with the construction of the following code, specifically the use of a signal both as a clock and as a condition. The signal “irst” is used within the always loop as a clock and within the “if” statement as a test condition. The decisions are synchronous with the specified clocks “<=”. My understanding of the “<=” convention is the value of the signal previous to the occurrence of the corresponding clock is latched at the specified clock edge. I do not see how the condition of “irst” is ever satisfied with the “irst” positive clock. Within the simulation, the value of “irst” is captured. The behavior I see within the simulation is: 

irst set high within the “INITIAL” statement, then low after a short time. 

SCK begins clocking some time later.  

The register array sreg[] is not blank within the simulator window until after the fifth occurrence of SCK. At that time, all the registers appear with a value of “0”. 

code sample: 

module spi_slave ( 

CS_N, SCK, SDI, SDO, 

irst, iclk, orst 

); 

….. 

parameter NUM_REG = 8; 

integer nr; 

wire [11:0] rdat = {serial_in[10:0],SDI}; 

reg [11:0] sreg [1:NUM_REG-1];  

always @(posedge irst or posedge SCK) begin // expect data to change on falling SCK 

if (irst)  

begin 

for(nr=1; nr<NUM_REG; nr=nr+1) 

sreg[nr] <= 0; 

end 

else if (&all_cnt[3:0]) 

begin 

sreg[opcode] <= rdat; 

end 

end 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

did you see a posedge of the reset signal in your simulation ? 

Try to start with a "0" for irst. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos