Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20706 Discussions

Virtual JTAG: "Hub IP" register value?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

According to the virtual JTAG Megafunction guide the "Hub IP configuration register" contains the following values: 

Bits 7-0: SUM(m,n) 

Bits 18-8: ALTERA_MFG_ID = 0×6E 

Bits 26-19: N 

Bits 31-27: version 

However in my tests (using Quartus II 11.0 and the Cyclone II evaluation board) Bits 7-0 seem to contain the number "m" only, not "m+n". 

In the current project the virtual IR register (User1) is 13 bytes long (n=3, m=10) and bits 7-0 of the configuration register contain the number 10, not 13 as expected. I also tried (n=1, m=4) and (n=1, m=5); the configuration register values were 4 and 5, not 5 and 6 as expected. 

Is this 

- A bug in the virtual JTAG Hub or 

- a bug in the documentation or 

- do I do anything wrong?? 

Thanks. 

Martin
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

However in my tests (using Quartus II 11.0 and the Cyclone II evaluation board) Bits 7-0 seem to contain the number "m" only, not "m+n". 

--- Quote End ---  

The documentation is wrong. Here's my analysis 

http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/vjtag.pdf 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey Dave, 

I have been struggling issuing the VIR HUB_INFO instruction and then shifting out the resulting data. How to target the SLD_hub in that case? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have been struggling issuing the VIR HUB_INFO instruction and then shifting out the resulting data. How to target the SLD_hub in that case? 

--- Quote End ---  

Download the zip file for this tutorial: 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/using_the_usb-blaster_as_an_sopc/qsys_avalon-mm_master_tutorial 

There's a Tcl script in there for use with Quartus stp. It has all the hub interrogation code, eg., print_hub_info and print_node_info. Read that code, it'll show you how it all works. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hats off to you Sir, That bit of information was what I was missing in my logic

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hats off to you Sir, That bit of information was what I was missing in my logic 

--- Quote End ---  

You're welcome! 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos